Driver window gets stuck halfway going up

Drew707

Reaction score
Hey guys. my driver side window gets stuck halfway going up. What do you guys think could be the problem? its rainy season so i would like to fix this instead of getting wet!

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
The way regulators are made is weird. Sounds like the gear is starting to warp its way through the hole not allowing it to grip 100% / get stuck. This has happened to me before. Be aware that it will only get worse and then it will break.

Grab a buddy and pull it out and take a look however I can almost guarantee you need a new regulator.

UNLESS.

There is just a lot of gunk build up due to just enough water getting in. Grease + Metal shavings from the window regulator moving up a down 1000's of time + just enough water = some nasty chunky poo.

Pull the panel, take out the window, unbolt the 6ish bolts and remove the regulator. It's simple. Grab a buddy.

If you take it out and the little gear looks warped or starting to pull through the hole then it definitely is time to replace. You will no what I am talking about.

I've changed quite a bit of them so I speak from experience.

Drew707

Reaction score
The way regulators are made is weird. Sounds like the gear is starting to warp its way through the hole not allowing it to grip 100% / get stuck. This has happened to me before. Be aware that it will only get worse and then it will break.

Grab a buddy and pull it out and take a look however I can almost guarantee you need a new regulator.

UNLESS.

There is just a lot of gunk build up due to just enough water getting in. Grease + Metal shavings from the window regulator moving up a down 1000's of time + just enough water = some nasty chunky poo.

Pull the panel, take out the window, unbolt the 6ish bolts and remove the regulator. It's simple. Grab a buddy.

If you take it out and the little gear looks warped or starting to pull through the hole then it definitely is time to replace. You will no what I am talking about.

I've changed quite a bit of them so I speak from experience.

thanks dude. ill get right on this. if it is a regulator how much would the part cost?

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
www.rockauto.com
www.car-parts.com

You can get them anywhere from 60 bucks to 120 bucks - that one being the OEM Honda one.

I've used both aftermarket ones and Honda ones and I could tell a difference but not by much, OEM was a little more graceful :) If you have the money go with the OEM Honda, however if you don't the aftermarket ones will work just fine. My old aftermarket one lasted for years and the only reason why it was replaced was due to thieves breaking it to get into my car.

Find a buddy to help you the first time because it's like a puzzle but it is actually quite fun. The thing to watch out for is when you unhook your window to pull it out (only to bolts - very simple) is to pull it out and not drop it by accident down into the door panel...

The last time I did this was in the dark with a cell phone light as my light and I did it in 30 minutes... like I said it's easy man, especially if you print out a DIY!

Good luck man!

Back