Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

pattywak

Reaction score
This has happened a couple times in the past and I was a little worried about it, but it hasn't happened for a while until 20 minutes ago when I tried to go to my apartment.

I turn the car on and everything is working until the revs start to drop to idle. Once it gets to where it should stop, the revs keep going down and the engine dies. I tried cranking the car on again and it will not start. I can hear it turning over and there is plenty of gas in the tank. What's up? In the past I had to wait a few minutes until trying it again and it would work but now we have been waiting for a while and it still will not work. Any help?

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I got it to start finally! This is what I did: When I turned it on and the engine started I had to give it some gas and rev the engine a little. The car then ran fine like nothing was wrong.

I'll check into the things you guys mentioned - my dad said we would replace the spark plugs and such soon. I just hope this doesn't keep happening especially when I'm somewhere I can't get a ride...

pattywak

Reaction score
I can't imagine it's something major like the fuel pump or the main relay. It hasn't done this for almost half a year now, but I'll see what I can get checked out....

slowCG2

Reaction score
Check your spark plugs, I can almost guarrantee thats the problem.

pattywak

Reaction score
Really now? Someone sounds pretty confident...lol.
Next week we will change them for sure. We had put in some Bosch +4 something-or-others 2 years ago when we bough the car because my dad said they were good. This time around I'm thinking something NGK?

nexTOme

Reaction score
stick with copper OEM....i dont see why it could be spark plug? :thinking:

pattywak

Reaction score
stick with copper OEM....i dont see why it could be spark plug? :thinking:
I have no idea what it is, that's why I came here for help...
I'm still a noob when it comes to engines. I don't even know what the main relay is I'm not afraid to say it.

Back