Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

pattywak

Reaction score
Edit: I located it, and now I just ned to find a way to get it out. Any tips would be greatly apreciated.

pattywak

Reaction score
Im trying to push up on the main relay from below with a flathead, but it just keeps moving the entire bracket that holds the main relay in place.

pattywak

Reaction score
Here's the update:

I spent an hour and a half under my car with a flat head screwdriver and a butterknife trying to get the main relay off. I was having no luck and getting really frustrated with it so I called my friend to come give it a shot. He shows up, I show him where it is and he gets under the dash. In no less than 15 seconds I hear him say, "Ah, there it goes." He just used two fingers and pushed the main relay up off the bracket, so the only thing holding it in was the plug...I got back under the dash and saw the main relay dangling there mocking me. I unplug it, plug the new one in, slide it on the bracket and put everything back together.

The car started up fine! We drove to White Castle for some eats and came back to my apartment. So far so good. :thumbup: I don't know what happened to the internal release clip, since he just slid it up off the bracket. Maybe mine wasn't on that tight? I'm not sure, but whatever the case I hope it is fixed now. :rock: Thanks to all you guys for the help.

lordofgroove

Reaction score
AWESOME!!! Hope i have good luck as well, i'm planning on tackling this tonight. Been studying all of the pics i could find in hopes that it will prepare me more, lol. I'm glad you got it installed, and i hope it fixes our starting issue :)

lordofgroove

Reaction score
Alright guys and gals, just finished replacing the main relay. Took me about 30 minutes, which given how awkward the relay is to get to, i don't feel too bad about. Also cleaned battery terminals while I had them disconnected and put some anti-corrosion jelly on them. Went on test drive, drove for about 5 minutes, then pulled over into a parking lot, shut the engine off. Waited 1-2 minutes, started back up and drove some more. Repeated this about 5 times on my drive. Everything seems ok, also the old relay has some rattling in it, haven't taken it apart yet but i'm hoping its a broken solder joint which would mean this will fix my starting problem. I noticed the one i pulled out is Siemens. Is that factory or does that mean somebody replaced this part previously on this car? Thanks for everybody's input on this thread, truly helpful and much appreciated.

pattywak

Reaction score
The old one I pulled out was a Siemens relay also, so I think that it is the one that comes from the factory. Where did you get that anti-corrosion stuff? My positive terminal has some really bad corrosion on it.

lordofgroove

Reaction score
Got it from Advanced Auto Parts, i'm sure you can get it any car parts place. Its in a little packet up with the cash registers along grease for your spark plugs to avoid cross threading and other various grease/cream/gel stuff :) I've never used it before so i hope it helps. I just usually make a point to clean the terminals from time to time. Definite rattling in the old Main Relay. I really hope this fixes it, weather is getting cooler here in nash so it maybe hard to duplicate the problem, although i'm pretty sure the stress test i did today of driving short distances, shutting the car off then starting back up would have made it fail again.

Back