Engine vibrating hard...

C_S_L

Reaction score
I had my timing belt service and after it was finished, I was told by the mechanic that my front and rear engine mount needs to be replace. I dont know what they did but the car didnt vibrate like a vibrator before when I brought it in. So when I started the car it sounds like a wild beast and at 1st and 2nd shift the engine shakes hard but quiet down after the 3rd, BTW is a AUTO! Somehow I knew something like this was going to happen, it always does. A simple timing belt service turn to a PITA nuisance. Is this normal for a 168K to have symptons like this? I have a Haynes manual for a DIY replacement, Im just not sure if its do-able without a engine hoist, hydraulic jack maybe. The shop is asking for about $300 for the parts/labor, before I do that Im going to another shop to get an opinion if I do need NEW mounts. So meanwhile can I get some input please? :hide:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Their trying to jack you, there is a balance shaft or something to do with the balance belt. If its off, ur engine will vibrate. Take it back ASAP and tell them.

Some mechanics are being so sneaky these days due to the economy. I suggest u be very carefull.

Watch this video I posted for how to change a timing belt in a I4 6thgenaccord. You will see how the guy tests the car before he puts everything back together to see if its balanced correct.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19488

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
x2 on motor mounts. mine vibrates a bit too in da morning then goes away after its warmed up. 69k btw lol. :driving:

C_S_L

Reaction score
Their trying to jack you, there is a balance shaft or something to do with the balancing. If its off, ur engine will seem to vibrate. Take it back ASAP and tell them.

Some mechanics are being so sneaky these days due to the economy. I suggest u be very carefull.

Watch this video I posted for how to change a timing belt in a I4 6thgenaccord. You will see how the guy tests the car before he puts everything back together to see if its balanced correct.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19488

I knew something was up when I told the guy that I brought my own parts. But I was tired of slacking off about getting it done. He mention that my "drive gear" needed to be replace cause oil was leaking out of it. That part alone was double the amount that I had. Reluctantly I agree to get it brought in by the honda dealer and get it installed. So thats why Im going to get another opinion by another "professional mechanic" to see if thats wrong. I NEVER had a bad engine vibration since I owned til now.

Lemon - Its normal for it to shake in the morning. I used to warm it up as well and the vibration would be gone. But this shaking is like a foot massager, hard and fast!!:rofl:

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I knew something was up when I told the guy that I brought my own parts. But I was tired of slacking off about getting it done. He mention that my "drive gear" needed to be replace cause oil was leaking out of it. That part alone was double the amount that I had. Reluctantly I agree to get it brought in by the honda dealer and get it installed. So thats why Im going to get another opinion by another "professional mechanic" to see if thats wrong. I NEVER had a bad engine vibration since I owned til now.

Lemon - Its normal for it to shake in the morning. I used to warm it up as well and the vibration would be gone. But this shaking is like a foot massager, hard and fast!!:rofl:

Yeah, you should just check all ur motor mounts to see if they are cracked. I believe there are three. I am not sure though. One by the timing belt, the other by the tranny and Im not sure where the third is. But if it was right after u had ur belt changed then it should not be a issue of fighting with them. Its something they did wrong and they should take responsibility for it. The longer u wait to resolve the issue the more they can say it was something from u.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ +1

Also, sory to hear about your experience.. but I am glad I read this post, because I am about to have my timing belt done, and I was going to buy my own parts... Good thing I didn't. I'll leave it to the installer. Thank you!

C_S_L

Reaction score
I got good news and bad news....

First, I took the car to Goodyear auto center and ask them to see what was the issue. The sales rep just took one look and said that the balance shaft was off, and it was making alot of noise due to that. So I agree to have them re-take the entire belt off and re-do what the other half-*** shop did. Took the guy about 2.5 hours to do which is incredibly fast! Turns out that when the other crap shop installed the parts back again they installed it wrong!! So I had to shell out 3 bills to fix it, fortunately it was on my credit. After it was finished everything work out find. The motor mounts did have abit of stress on it but not enough to throw the entire engine off. Mounts werent the issue here, the installation by the crap shop mechanic was. I try talking to the crap shop owner about it and right off he bitch about why didnt I take it back to him to get it check out? Well, the reason was I told him "why did you tell me that my car was good to go"? when I pick it up. He said that it was due to the mounts being busted so thats why the engine was shaking so hard. BULLSHAT!! It was his incompetence that cause the issue. He rant off about how he's been a mechanic for 17+ years and had no issue with other customer complaints. Hmm...I wonder why there was no complaint, there isnt cause the dumb customer agree to get some other shat fix for more money! Damn I been pissy the entire day. A$$hat just refused to hand over my money and said it was my fault for not coming back to get it fix. My fault?!? Hells no!!

So anyways I have contacted the Bureau for Automotive Repairs in California about the situation and see what they can do to help me out. Why would I bring back my car to a crap shop to get it fix again when they frack it up in the first place? Saying that it was all good and that replacing the mounts would fix the issue. :squintfinger:

Moral of this story, dont be cheap cause cheap will hit you back tenfold. I should have listen to my wife.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Er, we told you it was likely the balance shaft. Why didn't you bring it back and make him fix it? WHen he says it's the mounts you can answer like this "It didn't do this when I brought it in, so you must have broken them, so fix them for free along with redoing the balance shaft belt for free, you pick."

Being cheap can be okay ona lot fo things, but not being assertive is what will bite you in the *** tenfold.

Back