f22 head on f23 block?

6thgennoobie

Reaction score
Ok so after doing some research I think I am going to attempt to boost my accord. I have read the f22 head is one of the best flowing ones besides maybe the h22. With that said here is my dilema I need to be able to use the head with an obd2 computer and I know with the g23 you need an obd 1 comp can the f23 computer run the f22 or can u use an obd2 computer to run it? I also believe I read there are vtec and non vtec f22 heads is vtec really necessary if your boosting anyways, I have honda friends who prefer to eliminate vtec during boost. Opinions on this?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Well, I don't know diddly **** about ECUs and all that. But there really isn't an advantage to eliminate vtec. For tuning, it can do nothing but give you advantages.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
VTEC is just harder to tune with, but for someone who knows what they are doing it should be no problem. Most tuners are just lazy and cut a lot of corners because they know they can't be held liable for any failures as a result. This is the hardest part of the game, which I have dealt with more than enough.

hahaha38

Reaction score
The head you want would be the f22a6 head. Yes you can make it work on a f23 bottom end. To stay obd-2 all you do is reuse your original dizzy and keep the crank sensor installed. If you want to run the car without a tune get a 96-97 accord lx ecu. It might not run that great though. But you should be able to move it around.

Vtec is a matter of opinion. If you want it cool if not no biggie. You should convert to obd-1 using a jumper harness and a p28 to run the car properly. Plus you will need it for when you decide to turbo the car anyway.

6thgennoobie

Reaction score
The head you want would be the f22a6 head. Yes you can make it work on a f23 bottom end. To stay obd-2 all you do is reuse your original dizzy and keep the crank sensor installed. If you want to run the car without a tune get a 96-97 accord lx ecu. It might not run that great though. But you should be able to move it around.

Vtec is a matter of opinion. If you want it cool if not no biggie. You should convert to obd-1 using a jumper harness and a p28 to run the car properly. Plus you will need it for when you decide to turbo the car anyway.

The stock accord ecu will run the f22a6? And that is the vtec head correct? Also, everything bolts on Intake exhaust etc. From what I read and as you say obd2 is a pain in the *** to tune. So unless i am missing something its just a direct swap minus a tune?

6thgennoobie

Reaction score
VTEC is just harder to tune with, but for someone who knows what they are doing it should be no problem. Most tuners are just lazy and cut a lot of corners because they know they can't be held liable for any failures as a result. This is the hardest part of the game, which I have dealt with more than enough.

Well I am a noon to tuning, but I do see you live in main.e as do I :)

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
The F22b2 is the Vtec head, The F22b1 i believe is a double overhead cam NON vtec head (Similar to H23 non-vtec, but with different oil drain holes). If you Run a non-vtec SOHC F22a1-6 head (Only difference is the CAM, the a6 has a more aggressive cam) with the obd2 f23 vtec computer, you won't be able to rev past 4k rpms, and will throw a Vtec Fault code (Like a limp mode) due to the fact that there isnt going to be a vtec solenoid or pressure switch. It will run it, but you will need an obd2 intake manifold with all the sensors, and your f23 distributor. Honestly if you're going to boost it, just stick with what you have. If you do a lot of reading on this site, the F23a1 is very responsive to boost. Plus the 6th gen is the only accord with Variable Vtec timing, but when you swap the Ecu the new one is going to have it locked i'm sure. Anyways, hopefully that helps!

Last edited:

hahaha38

Reaction score
WOW you guys are wrong. LOL. ex94-97 accord is f22b1=sohc-vtec Lx=f22b2 sohc-nonvtec.

All of the sensors are the same from Obd-1 to obd2 except for the dizzy. You can't use a f23 intake on an a6 head. It uses a h23 intake design.

Yes the lx obd-1 ecu should let the engine run. Just wont be that great. Shouldn't throw any codes unless you have something disconnected.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear, I thought he wanted an f22 non vtec sohc head on his f23 vtec block and run it with that ecu...? What you want OP???

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I don't think he knows what he wants.... You guys are just throwing specific stuff about swapping a f22 head.

Back