F23 bolt-ons and California emissions

INK DEMON

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear from someone who lives here in Cali and has the F23A4... I was just wondering if the basic bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust) would affect the emissions of this car enough to make it fail Cali smog. I'm asking for input from Cali heads being that our engine is a bit different and so are our smog regulations... thanks guys

INK DEMON

Reaction score
I'm assuming that by dropping a turbo or simply upgrading the cam might be enough to fail... ?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
any internal work = fail
no cat = fail
turbo = fail

bolt-ons with carb stickers are fine

or..... u could pay to pass smog like meh :lawl:

INK DEMON

Reaction score
any internal work = fail
no cat = fail
turbo = fail

bolt-ons with carb stickers are fine

or..... u could pay to pass smog like meh :lawl:

Understood... Just to expand on that a little bit, are there any companies out there that make turbo kits for this car? Or do we have to piece it together ourselves? Oh, and a quick question about the cam... At what stage do we have to consider upgrading springs, retainers and such?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
pls search abt the turbo :)

as for cams, i'd say stage 2 and above needs to have upgraded valvetrain

FlipStylie

Reaction score
I have a VW background as far as underhood goes. But I can tell you that most power upgrades, even if listed as carb-safe can put in the red for our strict emissions tests.

My best advice is find a good shop and make some friends. Like darkside said, you may have to pay to pass smog and be careful what you have on if you need to have a visual inspection at the dmv.

Accord4U2NV

Reaction score
well i BARELY failed with an AEM Cam gear, fuel psi regulator, cold air intake, and dc headers but the guy who tested me was really cool and kinda cheated to get me to pass. he kept my engine reved at 3000 rpm for about 5 mins to get the cat real hot and then it passed with flying colors

JDM Accord 510

Reaction score
I took my car to get smog couple of months ago and the tester would not test my car with my AEM SRI. I even told him that it has a carb legal sticker on it and he told me something about the rules being changed now for the visual test. He just told me to switch back to my stock one, then i brought it back and everything was ready to go.

Back