f23a5 DX to f23a4 vtec

RBphoto

Reaction score
Hi all!

Fairly new to 6ga, and I figured this would be the best place to come for help after doing some reading today. I currently have an almost stock 98 dx, and I already also have a f23a4 head I pulled from a scrapyard. The new head is cleaned up, just waiting on new seals to arrive for install, until I was reading about the ECU's. I didn't realize my current ECU couldn't be wired for vtec (or so I've read online), so I started looking online for f23a4 auto ECU's and found a ton, but didn't think of the immobilizer. Do I have to get the ECU reflashed for my key somewhere, or would buying a p28 and doing an obd1 conversion be easier? I'm looking to tune the car slightly, but since it's auto and I don't plan on swapping a 5 speed in, I don't want to go too crazy, just looking to get some extra power and better mileage. I'm thinking the obd1 conversion might be easier, but are there any precautions with doing that on an obd2 accord?

Any advice you have is appreciated!

Thanks!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'd be better off getting an automatic LX ecu I think. You will have to reflash the ecu. OBD1 would require some more work and with keeping it automatic, probably more than what you want to get into from the sound of it.

RBphoto

Reaction score
That's what I'm leaning towards for the sake of being able to hook it up and run the vtec wires, but how hard is it to get an ecu reflashed? Does keeping it OBD2 limit tuning options as well? I was hoping to run Neptune but as far as I can tell that can only be done on OBD1 ecu's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasterK

Reaction score
That's what I'm leaning towards for the sake of being able to hook it up and run the vtec wires, but how hard is it to get an ecu reflashed?

Sent from my iPhone usingTapatalk

Don't mean to thread jack, but since I'm wanting to know basically the same thing with a 99 DX i didn't see the need to start another thread. I need to swap whole engine though.

Can only the dealer reflash? I'm assuming the whole vehicle needs to go?

RBphoto

Reaction score
A friend of mine sent me a link to this product by doctronics called a Mobilizer. It's a chip you solder in place of the immobilizer chip inside the ecu. It's quite inexpensive and seems to do exactly what we'd need it to do!

Can be found at this link.
http://www.doctronic.at/Mobilizier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBphoto

Reaction score
Don't mean to thread jack, but since I'm wanting to know basically the same thing with a 99 DX i didn't see the need to start another thread. I need to swap whole engine though.

Can only the dealer reflash? I'm assuming the whole vehicle needs to go?

As far as I know, only the dealer can reflash these ECU's. If you have a donor car for the swap, make sure to grab the ignition barrel (where the key goes) in addition to the engine and ECU. Then you'll be able to plug everything in and be golden, without the reflash, and back on the road in no time!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as I know, only the dealer can reflash these ECU's. If you have a donor car for the swap, make sure to grab the ignition barrel (where the key goes) in addition to the engine and ECU. Then you'll be able to plug everything in and be golden, without the reflash, and back on the road in no time!

This would also probably work, just don't lose your keys and remember which keys go to what or you'll be SOL if you lose them.

MasterK

Reaction score
Can you answer if I don't wire up the vtec, simply because I don't really care about it, will the motor function properly?

RBphoto

Reaction score
Can you answer if I don't wire up the vtec, simply because I don't really care about it, will the motor function properly?

I'm not sure for certain, but I think that if the VTEC isn't hooked up or fails at any point it throws a CEL and the motor will be sluggish above 3000 rmp - ish. I may not be correct though, that's just what I've read.

Back