failed emissions :(

twofast4u

Reaction score
hey guys,

I don't know how many states require emissions, but those of you who have gone through it, please let me know your thoughts.

I just went for my etest, and it just failed because the NO PPM was too high. Limit is 505 and my reading was 560. I changed my CAT last year, so I know that can't be the issue, and i just checked my spark plugs which are fine as well. The only thing left is the EGR valve. Do you guys have any other ideas? Let me know!

Thanks!

AZmike

Reaction score
Was the exhaust hot for the test? My last test I was stuck in line long enough for the catalyst to cool enough to fail. I retested when there was no wait and passed.

jwong512

Reaction score
It's possible that the connection from the IM to the EGR valve is clogged up and is not recirculating air. I would check to see if the IM plenum is dirty and if it is, most likely it's clogged. Just clean that out and you should be fine. I would also check to make sure that your PCV valve is working as well. Those things are cheap and they make a world of difference on higher mileage motors.

twofast4u

Reaction score
Yea the exhaust was hot, it was about a 20min drive to the etest place. And i cleaned out the IM last year when I swapped my motor. Although I reused my old EGR valve with 240 000km on it. I'm going to swap it out this weekend with the JDM one since there both the same part #.

I was looking at my prev etest papers and I noticed that in the 2 previous ones the engine was revving at around 1700rpm. But on this one the engine was revving at 2700. Would that make a difference? I dont think this guy knew what he was doing to be honest.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Adam, you should take it to an Active Green & Ross, cheap and I am sure you wouldn't have any issues.

i would change the EGR valve though for sure.

twofast4u

Reaction score
i dunno about active green & ross. I've heard so many stories....plus the only reason i went to this place i went was cause if i fail there, its free. Which kinda worked out i guess.

oh and happy belated birthday Derek!

001Stunna

Reaction score
Adam, i still think there's no point in changing the actual egr valve, you can by all means take it out and clean the port under it if you want. Usually what gets clogged is the egr passageways not the actual valve itself.

As for the rpms i believe the test is supposed to be done at idle and 2000 rpm +/- a little very little variance. Looking at all my past etest papers its always been around that.

I'd say...
-do seafoam (through pcv hose/gas tank)
-do an oil change if you're close to being due for it
-check the gap on the plugs and if necessary re-gap them(even though you can replace them for cheap)
-check/clean your air filter
-run the Guaranteed to Pass thing (CT has it for 9.99 i believe and they'll actually sent you a cheque if you send them papers proving you didnt pass after using it)
-fill up your tank with some premium gas and go for a 30-40minute highway drive
-go to the test center and try again, if you go to the same centre it'll be half price.

twofast4u

Reaction score
Thank Levin, I still have about 1400km till my next oil change, so i'll just swap out the EGR this weekend, then change the oil in about 2 weeks, then I'll go straight for emissions. Plugs are fine aswell, and i always run 89 or 91 octane in my ride:p

nightowl

Reaction score
This is what I did to pass my emissions test on my 99 accord that still has the stock cat:

1. use those iridium spark plugs from NKG that are good for 100 000km
2. change oil and filter (don't use cheap oil!)
3. Change air filter
4. make sure you have no holes or leaking exhaust gaskets
5. use a fuel stabilizer that has isopropyl alcohol
- Note: some folks have actually put 4L jug of isopropyl alcohol on a full tank of gas, I wouldn't do it though
6. use regular 87 octane gas, do not use premium if your car is not modified with turbo/ timing

These are the steps i did to pass my emissions test with the stock original cat. My mechanic was even shocked that I passed.

Back