Filters

tnguyen600

Reaction score
I bought a Heliopan Circular polarizer filter for my lens. It was a fcuking $100.00 lol From what I've read, heliopan is a really nice german filter.

Should I return it and look for a cheaper one or keep it?

turbo_911

Reaction score
I don't know, to every user its up to them, for instance for me, I don't like filters at all, some people say it makes images IQ worse, some say it makes it better. I am really anal about my camera equipment and take really good care of lens so that's why I didn't by one. I know most ppl just buy it to protect lens from dust and from scratching it. So it all depends on you if you want to keep it or not. I would return it and buy something for my camera, like RC-1 remote (though i have it already) or a nice tripod :)

I bought a Heliopan Circular polarizer filter for my lens. It was a fcuking $100.00 lol From what I've read, heliopan is a really nice german filter.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i dont use a UV unless its wet/dusty/windy outside

but i always have a polarizer with me cause you never know when youll want to cut reflections or make a color (or the sky) more vibrant...

turbo_911

Reaction score
Well, I never take my L lens outside when its dusty, wet or windy... that's why I have cheap lens for that... lol and you have hood for the reflections and sun glare...

finch13

Reaction score

Better filters equal better light transmittance through them. Keep it. I paid $115 for my B+W Kasemann polarizer, the list is like $250+ for it.

i dont use a UV unless its wet/dusty/windy outside

but i always have a polarizer with me cause you never know when youll want to cut reflections or make a color (or the sky) more vibrant...

UV is good for all daytime pics, ever get UV haze? Than can ruin a good picture easily. I run a UV on all my lenses during the day, at night they can cause some funky glare if there are lights in the composition.

you have hood for the reflections and sun glare...

A hood will only minimize glare from light entering the lens at near perpendicular angles. The polarizer will cut reflections straight on. good for taking pics of things through glass and water.

Observe:

leaf.jpg

That was taken in the middle of the day with the B+W on. Not possible without it.

turbo_911

Reaction score
I think he was talking about his 70-200mm L lens which has really long hood, and i've tried taking pictures pointing straight to the sun and there were no reflections whatsoever.... even if he'll get some he can use some pp to edit. But once again to every user its different, I don't like filters some do, just was my opinion... :)

finch13

Reaction score
I think he was talking about his 70-200mm L lens which has really long hood, and i've tried taking pictures pointing straight to the sun and there were no reflections whatsoever.... even if he'll get some he can use some pp to edit. But once again to every user its different, I don't like filters some do, just was my opinion... :)

Oh, I know, I respect opinions. I personally don't shoot with a filter all that much myself.

I have also taken pictures directly at the sun without getting any glare, it's hit or miss sometimes. Tends to happen more at wider angles as well. The 70-200mm shouldn't have whole lot of glare anyways, especially with all the fancy coatings Canon uses in the pro lenses. Obviously a long hood can be used on a lens with a large focal length like his, but regular shooting in the 10-100mm range won't get the benefits of a large hood without vignetting, and this is where a good filter can be used :D

tnguyen600

Reaction score
Since its an expensive filter, would it be okay to put a protection filter on top of the polarizer? (to protect it) lol or would that affect it

finch13

Reaction score
That would be fine. I have a slim polarizer so there are no threads on the lens cover side, just the side where is screws onto the lens. The UV filters don't have a coating that reflects a whole lot of light. I see no problem is using a $20 filter to protect a $100 one lol. I usually stack them the other way though, since the UV filters is usually on when I put the polarizer on.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Well, I never take my L lens outside when its dusty, wet or windy... that's why I have cheap lens for that... lol and you have hood for the reflections and sun glare...

Why would you invest in a lens that has extensive weather sealing and not use it in the conditions it's made for? That being said, I always have a filter on my 24-70L to protect my front element.

Back