Filters

finch13

Reaction score
Why would you invest in a lens that has extensive weather sealing and not use it in the conditions it's made for? That being said, I always have a filter on my 24-70L to protect my front element.

Word. Even after dropping mad bank on glass, I'd still be :skurred: or bringing it out in bad weather.

Coming from the guy that covers his camera with a plastic bag and shoots in the rain...

turbo_911

Reaction score
Oh, I know, I respect opinions. I personally don't shoot with a filter all that much myself.

I have also taken pictures directly at the sun without getting any glare, it's hit or miss sometimes. Tends to happen more at wider angles as well. The 70-200mm shouldn't have whole lot of glare anyways, especially with all the fancy coatings Canon uses in the pro lenses. Obviously a long hood can be used on a lens with a large focal length like his, but regular shooting in the 10-100mm range won't get the benefits of a large hood without vignetting, and this is where a good filter can be used :D

Yes, that's true, its either hit or miss... I know some people just get the protective filter on top so they won't scratch the front element, I would do it too, but I take really good care of my camera equipment, lol so for now I don't find a need, maybe later on...

Btw, I did shoot in rainy weather ones, under huge umbrella :)

Why would you invest in a lens that has extensive weather sealing and not use it in the conditions it's made for? That being said, I always have a filter on my 24-70L to protect my front element.

Canon 70-200mm f/4 is not weather sealed... only the IS version and 2.8 version.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Canon 70-200mm f/4 is not weather sealed... only the IS version and 2.8 version.

Ah, I didnt realize you had that lens. I have a few rain sleeves that I shoot in when I am out in the weather, but thats only because my Rebel body isnt weather sealed.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i have filters for my expensive lenses just in case i wanna take them somewhere with dust or wind or just somewhere dangerous...but i usually don't use them...i do need to get a circular polarizer tho...just don't really want to...because my 24-70 has an 82mm size...it would be super expensive for a good quality one

finch13

Reaction score
^ No drop in filters?

You can get a B+W Kasemann MRC Slim from B&H for like $308... I'm sure you could knock that down to the $150-200 range if you searched hard enough.

turbo_911

Reaction score
Since you guys like all about filters for your lens, I went and checked out the prices, and yeah, super expensive, lol. I guess i'll live without them for now... :p

finch13

Reaction score
I have a $25 Linear Circular Polarizer and a $11 (open item) Linear Polarizer for my kit lens. When you have a nice lens, you kinda have to go all out.

Want to save money and still get quality? Buy all your nice filters for your largest diameter lens (mine is 62mm) and then get step-down rings for your other lenses. I got a 62mm-to-52mm step-down ring from Adorama for the nifty fifty for like $5. Works great!

With dSLR, filters are really not necessary. The only filters that I would really ever want (or need) would be a polarizer, UV, graduated neutral density, and red filter (for 35mm B&W).

tnguyen600

Reaction score
good idea i should look into a step down ring. i snapped a few pics with the new lens earlier today....holy shiet. difference in quality is day and night.

Back