FIXED - Ticking/Rattling Noise from under P/S pump

matt10084

Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place, I'll move, but I've been told to not drive the car anymore with the sound it's making. Car hasn't moved since.

So the other day, I left and went to work, got off a lot earlier than usual and decided to get a car wash since the weather was nice. After leaving the car wash, I noticed a slightly different tone from my car.

Get almost home, about 5 or 6 miles, and on slower speeds, I hear a consistent, metallic ticking/rattling noise. Pull into the driveway and notice just how loud it actually is. Sounds like it was coming from my power steering pump or underneath it.

Took it to the shop I work at on weekends, right across the street from the car wash, at first they thought it was a lifter. Got a second opinion and was told timing tensioner. I'm not sure what to do as it could apparently be a number of things.
Any one else experience this or know what it is? Is it as bad as it seems?

Car is a '99 ex coupe, v6.

Thanks in advance everyone...

EDIT: We've already ruled out anything power steering related by taking the belt off like james'99 said. Noise is still there.

UPDATE: Problem is fixed. Water pump, idler and tensioner pulley, and timing belt were all replaced.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Re: Ticking/Rattling Noise from under P/S pump

First thing I would start with is ruling out the power steering system by pulling off the power steering belt and running it to see. It could be a number of things but I would rule that out considering how easy it is.

matt10084

Reaction score

Right, forgot to mention we already ruled out power steering.
I have a feeling it's one of these parts here circled in red... http://imgur.com/a/ksKp5

Last edited:

matt10084

Reaction score

Realized the pulleys I marked are all part of the water pump/timing belt setup... So I have a good feeling it might be all of that... Will see what we'll do at the shop tomorrow. Unless anyone else has other ideas..? Cause it's gonna be a job and a half already, from what it seems...

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score

Realized the pulleys I marked are all part of the water pump/timing belt setup... So I have a good feeling it might be all of that... Will see what we'll do at the shop tomorrow. Unless anyone else has other ideas..? Cause it's gonna be a job and a half already, from what it seems...

I think if it hasn't been replaced already, go for it. You could also run it without the serpentine belt to rule out A/C compressor and alternator. Don't run it for an extended period though because you will kill the battery.

matt10084

Reaction score

They're pretty sure it's the timing tensioner and idler pulleys. Either or both. Going to replace both anyway as well as the belt.

Found out the top passenger motor mount was busted to hell so that's going to get replaced also. Might do the front motor mount as well...

Guess we'll see what happens next...

james'99

Reaction score

They're pretty sure it's the timing tensioner and idler pulleys. Either or both. Going to replace both anyway as well as the belt.

Found out the top passenger motor mount was busted to hell so that's going to get replaced also. Might do the front motor mount as well...

Guess we'll see what happens next...

Keep us posted!

matt10084

Reaction score

So, finally got the car back the other day.

They replaced everything, timing belt, idler and tensioner pulleys, water pump, and the busted passenger motor mount. It all came everything besides the motor mount all came in a kit. So it must have been something in there.

Best bet if something like this happens to you on your v6, just go ahead and do everything in there with the kit. The kit itself was $250. Total after shop labor was some $600-$700. If you could do it yourself, you'd save a nice bit of money. But you shouldn't have to get into that area of the car again for maybe 125k miles as I was told.

james'99

Reaction score

So, finally got the car back the other day.

They replaced everything, timing belt, idler and tensioner pulleys, water pump, and the busted passenger motor mount. It all came everything besides the motor mount all came in a kit. So it must have been something in there.

Best bet if something like this happens to you on your v6, just go ahead and do everything in there with the kit. The kit itself was $250. Total after shop labor was some $600-$700. If you could do it yourself, you'd save a nice bit of money. But you shouldn't have to get into that area of the car again for maybe 125k miles as I was told.

Glad to hear it! Honda's spec on the timing belt is 105k just so you know for future reference but when it comes down to it, that is just a number. They could last forever or they could break prematurely depending on whatever conditions they are suspect to.

Back