Gas tax hike

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RedRyder, Jan 15, 2015.

1. RedRyder

RedRyder Be a better driver

I know our infrastructure sucks, and something needs to be done about it. But the answer to the fed’s problems shouldn’t always be ‘tax the people’. Yes, objectively speaking our gas tax is low and has remained constant for a long time, but the government wastes millions every year. All they really need to do is manage their money better. Not to mention there’s plenty of money they could take from other areas to increase the highway trust fund. Just because we finally caught a break somewhere and people are able to keep more money in their pockets, doesn’t mean the fed doesn’t have the income it needs to do its job. Taxing people to death is not the answer, especially considering that fuel efficient cars are only going to become more popular….so if the highway trust fund only gets money from gas tax, a rate hike is only a temporary solution and they will inevitably run out of money again.

Luckily it’s not a huge hike (hopefully) and in the end it won’t make a massive difference for us. It’s just the principle that gets under my skin. Buuut I also don’t want a bridge to collapse into a river 100 feet below while I’m sitting in traffic. :lawl:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/15/low-fuel-prices-spur-federal-gas-tax-talk/

2. Varnell

Varnell Well-Known Member

While I agree that there are other ways for this fund to be successful; NC has one of the highest gas taxes in the southeast and the roads are pretty nice. SC has one of the lowest gas taxes and I nearly drove into innumerable trenches on SC highways on my way to Atlanta this summer. I refuse to drive my car down there again.