Going to make FB Sub boxes

crazyspade101

Reaction score
Ok, first off, I do not know if this goes here or Car Audio.

But.. This is my trunk now
oq9gl0.jpg

5bekx5.jpg

2qiyemw.jpg

So basically my goal is to make a hard trunk mat, using particle board and some fabric. but i do plan on making fiber glass boxes in the wheel wells.. my question to you is what should i do with the plastics that are in them already? should i take them out, extend my hard trunk mat into those corners? Should i incorporate them into the boxes? take them out and just do nothing?

Looking for some ideas on what to do. but i need to get atleast 1.5 cubic feet out of the corners.. The boxes i would like to still be removable, and i need the trunk space for snowboards and stuff since i cant find a roof rack for cheap, or i would fiber the entire trunk out for show

Last edited:

Bax

Reaction score
I don't remember who said this, nor on what forum, but i copied it into a notepad file and saved it b/c i knew i'd need it. lol
Talking about making the floor for the trunk:
anyone thinking of doing this, dont use MDF and definitely don't use particle board...horrible advice. not only are they both incredibly heavy, they soak up water like a sponge and will warp.

birch plywood ftw even though its expensive (you can get away with 7 layer home depot stuff).

use a piano hinge (wtf was in that diy? shed door hinges? ) and dont bother with an external handle since the 6th gens have the little recess in the plastic trim in the rear of the trunk.

yeah, i have a birch ply floor

Hope that helped. :D

and i vote keep the plastic pockets on the side, thats where i keep all the crap that i use when i'm messing with my amp, speakers, etc. But its up to you. it WOULD look a lot cleaner if you took those pockets out and extended the floor. It just depends on what you want, pockets to put stuff in...or appearance?

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
thats my quote :lawl:

a 2x4' sheet of particle board is probably 30lbs and you'll need 2 to do the floor correctly. a 2x4' sheet of MDF is probably 20lbs. a sheet of birch ply is maybe 10-15lbs. those are all 3/4" size.

if you take the trunk liners out, each of them is one piece...so your wheel wells will be exposed, and you will see the support brackets for the rear deck and all that.

then it will look like this

IMGP6611copy.jpg

IMGP6603copy.jpg

not very attractive. and theres not a ton of extra room behind them unless you fiberglass up towards the front of the car.

the trays just pull out so thats no problem, except you'd need to find a spot for the tools and a way to get to the jack easily.

i would figure out a way to incorporate the floor into the design so when the boxes come out, you won't have little "dips" on the sides where the floor curves down (where the plastic trays are).

crazyspade101

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. As for the plastics I'm probably going to take them out... i don't use them at all. I haven't had my jack or spare in for a long time now.. if my tire goes flat i got AAA.. they can deal with it (Or ill call someone to bring my spare and a jack, since I'm that awesome and people will drop what they're doing to help me lol ;) ).

I'm going to leave the trunk liners in, even though i was just hit in the rear end and had to have my trunk wheel well completely re-done. Probably going to have my new board extended into where the plastics were. Then I'm going to tape everything up, lay foil, put some wax on, and get busy with the FB bases. I have an idea on hiding my amps, not sure if it is going to work, but on the passenger side, with the backseat out and taking that panel off there are two metal pieces that run vertical, mount my amp there.. not quite sure how thats gonna work lol, any thoughts?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
do you mean the "armrest" panel in the back of coupes? :thinking:

i think it would be a great spot depending on if there's enough room for some air flow. i know people with other coupes put subs/midbasses there...

lashlee

Reaction score
With a little work you can fit the boxes on the sides. I would look for some of the installs from bing (simplicity in sound) on diymobileaudio.com to see how to start. I used the spare tire well for my subs and just built up the floor to keep it usable. I've got some build pics on my cardomain site if you want to see what I did here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3014926/1998-honda-accord

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Outside of the advice given, if you want to make it removable, I would do a setup where you keep all the factory stuff there. Just work around it. Not only will it be easier to take out, it will also be easy to return to stock.

That said, if you are going to be taking things in and out, I would just make a box. You will still have a functional trunk and it's a few wires and pull the box out. Then again, my trunk is dirty and I would never showcase it, just seems easier to me. Should sound the same.

Back