Going turbo

Blackaccord2345

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm building up a turbo kit soon for my car and will be posting pics along the way. I had some questions to ask so i can make some choices on what to get for my setup. I'm going to start off with a Low boost setup with stock internals, and down the line I want to get a seperate motor and build it up during the winter months we have here in Chicago. I kinda have been going crazy on what turbo to get, there is so many choices out there and so many cheap Ebay kits that I do not want to touch, but on the other hand the kits that look half way decent cost 3 Grand. would I half to upgrade my fuel pump and injectors for a 5 psi setup or would the stock injectors and pump be ok? I'm willing to spend money on the turbo but nothing more then a grand. I'm curious to what turbo manifolds you guys would suggest and how important it is to get a good intercooler. Thank you for your advice and wish me luck on my turbo journey.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I would start by reading about the turbo builds on here. RussianRed and x5carl3tMurd3rx both have turbo build threads with tons of info, and there are others as well.

akoutmos

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you can weld, or at least have access to someone that can weld it makes your task quite a bit easier and allows you to make your own setup as opposed to getting a crummy kit. My suggestion would be to go with like an STR manifold and a garrett journal bearing turbo. You can get your manifold and turbo setup for less that $1000. Then if you find used parts and stuff you can do it on the cheap pretty easily. Like a used intercooler, BOV, wastegate, etc.

You will need injectors and a pump. A good choice in these would be the walbro 255lph pump and RDX injectors.

For engine management you could go AEM, but once again, if you are looking at doing this on the cheap then chrome is prob ur best option, or a used EMS.

9450erick

Reaction score
i was lookin at that one. you need to do a lot of research!!!!!!!!! i mean tons. i ve read that the 50 trim isnt too goo and can be had for way less than 650. with 650 you can purchase a way better more efficient turbo. ebay comes out with some good stuff!
quality BOV for $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-H...1999|Model:Accord&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d31dab68e
i kinda want to buy it for myself!
Also i bought a str turbo manifold frm ebay. ebay is good but u have to know what your looking for. they have brand name stuff on thier however cheap crappy stuff too. thats why you research to find out the brand name items

VonDubz

Reaction score
After reading all this, your best bet is to do what I did with my previous car.
1. Source a turbo : What I used was a garret t28 from a nissan 240sx sr20det which is also ball bearing,and get it rebuilt. Be careful redtop is a t25 journal bearing. You're looking for a blacktop. You can get these used on ebay, and then professionally rebuilt locally. Don't cheap out on the turbo, you're gonna regret it when the turbo vanes shoot into your cylinders and either put a hole in your piston, score your cylinder walls, or just bend some valves if you're lucky.

2. The Turbo Manifold : Now many people don't know what to do here. Cast Iron log manifold or Ram horn? Well a properly reinforced cast iron log manifold is decently cheap and should last you a very long time, and resist cracking very well. The only problem being is they have terrible flow. Properly made ram horns are expensive, and have the best flow. Bottom line is if your lookin to make cheap reliable power go log, if you have big HP dreams go ram. You also need to match the Turbo flange to the manifold, pretty important though you could always put an adapter on.

3.The Wastegate: Now wastegates are another thing you absolutely can not cheap out on. The spring inside the wastegate must be the amount of PSI you are planning to run obviously. Tials are some of the best wastegates I've ever used. Held 40 psi on my friends civic no problems.

4.The Intercooler: If you want your turbo-ed engine to be efficient, then you are going to need a decently flowing intercooler. Intercoolers come in bar and plate and tube and fin. Bar and plates have good durability, better cooling but less flow. Fin types get damaged easily, cool less, but flow better. If you want to compromise there is a hybrid fin which is a combo of both, but is also a little bit more expensive. Dont go more than 2.5 inlet outlet if you're planning to run a small turbo, you're going to lose flow from the pressure drop.

5. Blow off valve: Honestly you can get any bov you want and be able to get away with it. Old style HKS bov's are pretty cheap now adays. Watch out for fakes too. Greddy Type-S bovs are discontinued so if anyone is selling them on ebay be wary.

6. Engine Management System and tune: Here is where people vary greatly. I being part of the East Coast Honda game used Hondata with a step down harness. If you didnt know Hondata is a chipped p28/p72 oem honda ecu, that is tuneable via usb port using a laptop. Very tuner friendly. This option is great if you didnt have to replace the hondata with the stock ecu everytime you went for an inspection. I know all you west coast guys love your AEM plug and play, but same issue. Crome is free, but its hard to find a tuner for. There are a coupe of others but Ive never had experience with them so I wont mention them. Hondata is 500 bucks, AEM used to be close to 1000. Its really up to you what you want to use though. But we all know East Coast Hondas are faster than west coast hehehe. Just look at Chris Miller NRG tech in Long Island,NY, hes a local superstar (shameless plug lol), also tubaso from yosolo racing, Morris Tuning/Midnight Auto.

If you are going to turbo look to spend more than 1000 for a reliable setup. A tune is usually 500 alone. Dont forget to factor in the price of tapping oil lines, oil pans, oil pressure gauges, boost pressure gauges, Wideband Airfuelratio gauge, Intercooler Pipings and Fittings (dont use screw clamps, they have been known to leak and pop off).If i forgot anything my bad

Last edited:

VonDubz

Reaction score
i was lookin at that one. you need to do a lot of research!!!!!!!!! i mean tons. i ve read that the 50 trim isnt too goo and can be had for way less than 650. with 650 you can purchase a way better more efficient turbo. ebay comes out with some good stuff!
quality BOV for $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-H...1999|Model:Accord&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d31dab68e
i kinda want to buy it for myself!
Also i bought a str turbo manifold frm ebay. ebay is good but u have to know what your looking for. they have brand name stuff on thier however cheap crappy stuff too. thats why you research to find out the brand name items

By the way that BOV is fake, they often leak because the insides are plastic. You get what you pay for.

Back