H22A Head on an F23A Block (Inquiries)

Reaction score
Hello, I'm just looking for some insight into making the "G23". I heard about this swap today and it interests me to say the least. If I purchased an H22 head and put it on my F23 block, what would I need to do in order to pull off the job correctly? I fear that where my F23 is a SOHC vtec and the H22 is a DOHC vtec, I may have to screw around with the computer. If I do indeed have to screw around with computers I may not proceed with the swap. I guess it all depends on the complexity of the computer mod. Can anyone provide the insight I need? I sure appreciate it!

lenz973

Reaction score
The computer is the easiest of it, you have to block off two ports on the h22 head. What pistons will you be using? Cams? Are you looking to just slap it together and go? Do it right, Do it once, and it"ll last.

Reaction score
I guess you could say that I was sort of looking for the slap and go method. I've tried using a local Honda group to find an F23A to build the way I want but these guys aren't exactly out to help out someone new, know what I mean? I'm assuming when you said that the computer is the easiest part, that it meant just taking an H22 computer for an automatic and putting it where my current F23 computer lies. Also, when you say "block off two ports on the H22 head", what do you mean by that exactly? I'm not exactly a veteran when it comes to this type of modification but I'm making my way. Joining this forum was the first step. Thanks a lot for the feedback. Truly appreciate it!

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Hold up.

Are you 5speed or auto?

A slap the h22 head on the f23 block is a no no... unless you plan on building for NA or Turbo, you better do your homework and research first.

The computer (ecu) will most likely be a chipped p28 and you running on OBDI unless you plan on piggy backing the H22 ecu.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Guy, you need to research this further. Especially if you didn't know to block off the two extra ports. You probably don't know about the water pump either.

lenz973

Reaction score
There is a lot of work that goes into building the g23 the right way. I went with an s300 ecu, so I had to get the jumper harness to go obd1. Honda tech had a great build thread by Pirate Mcfred but I believe he pulled the thread down. If you want a reliable swap, go h22. I really wanted the g23 to last so I bought everything new and built it. It s similar to people who don't like the ls vtec or b20 vtec in civics, many people say you'll run into head gasket issues over time and the motor won't last because it was not meant to be. The b16, gsr and type r were built to be reliable because they're stock from Honda. (No Fabrication needed) It's not a quick slap and go you should definitely research online also.

Reaction score
That's what I'm doing is researching. I'm not gonna just jump into something I don't know a lot about, that's why I asked you guys on the forum. Thanks for the input.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
I know Im gunna come off as a **** but whatever

probably the reason that the other site "didnt" wanna help u is cause Ur looking for the answers by asking someone to hand u the answers on a silver platter

a sawp like that has been done and is successfull

u have to research (meaning)
U Google the swap - not just in a accord "g swap/ g 23 swap ect "

There is so much info out there
u just have to take the time to find it urself

if u get agravated at my post then good it means i have Ur attention
take it however u wanna take it

personally i looked into it and bang for buck g swap isnt it
full h swap is were its at
but Im not even gunna do that
My intent is more power- not crazy power just a bit more
so in my case id turbo the f23 and add head studs
7 lbs is plenty for me and stock is happy at that lbs

so start off with Ur intent
power?
Eye candy?
Or to just say i did it?
Cause a g swap is g and all but its still in the low hp numbers without some s pistons and a over all full build

lenz973

Reaction score
I doubt that, I ll put my g23 up against an h22 anytime. Mine has been extremely reliable and has done wonders.

Back