H23 Intake Manifold onto F23 Head

AFAccord

Reaction score
This will be my write-up/log for installing the H23 intake manifold onto the F23 head.

For now, I'm off to bed. :)

Quick notes:
I've got a port matched/polished H23 IM and a custom 70mm TB that's going on my ported/polished F23 head.

Later on, I'll explain my reasons for doing this, post up some pictures, and begin to document the process.

Time frame for this is... before I leave for Italy. :thinking:

Kid2000EX

Reaction score
This will be my write-up/log for installing the H23 intake manifold onto the F23 head.

For now, I'm off to bed. :)

Quick notes:
I've got a port matched/polished H23 IM and a custom 70mm TB that's going on my ported/polished F23 head.

Later on, I'll explain my reasons for doing this, post up some pictures, and begin to document the process.

Time frame for this is... before I leave for Italy. :thinking:

The next question would be.......When are you leaving for Italy?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
so, u using the F23 plenum (sp?) or the h23 one? the f23 one is bigger, which could yield higher tq numbers.... good luck bro :beer:

AFAccord

Reaction score
The next question would be.......When are you leaving for Italy?

Sometime in March. :p This will just be one of many projects going on before then.

This will be interesting... pics?

I'll get a few pics up tonight after work.

so, u using the F23 plenum (sp?) or the h23 one? the f23 one is bigger, which could yield higher tq numbers.... good luck bro :beer:

Parts list so far consists of the full H23 IM (plenum, IABs, and runners), JDM H22 Fuel Rail, and an aluminum flange to act as an adapter.

its simple

And you have yours bolted up and working I suppose? :coffee:

Jeremiah

Reaction score
^^ I love it... everything is simple in "theory"

It's so simple that one of the biggest F series SOHC N/A guy's, when starting it, never finished it. (sohcarchangel from ad.com)

I think it's a good idea to go with the adapter plate, will allow you to take less material away from the intake ports at the head itself.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
so far so good on this new gasket. right now i have bigger fish to fry

you are gonna run the full IAB setup?

AFAccord

Reaction score
It's so simple that one of the biggest F series SOHC N/A guy's, when starting it, never finished it. (sohcarchangel from ad.com)

But he had more serious issues like you mentioned.

I think it's a good idea to go with the adapter plate, will allow you to take less material away from the intake ports at the head itself.

Yes. I'll overlay the F23 gasket on the plate to drill the mounting holes, then drill out a rough outline for the ports and knock those out. I'll probably use a file to do the final shaping of the ports. After that i can mount the H23 gasket to the reverse side of the plate, and again use the file to flare the port holes out to match the H23 gasket. My head is already ported and polished, so I intend to bolt the adapter plate to the head and use some sand paper/flapper wheels to match the porting.

Once that's done I'll send out the H23 IM to my guy to be polished and port matched to the throttle body, and we'll go from there. I need to work out all the details about coolant lines, and blocking off the plethora of vacuum ports on the H23 IM.

so far so good on this new gasket. right now i have bigger fish to fry

you are gonna run the full IAB setup?

So you're in the same boat as most people, having the huge runners slamming into the small ports, right?

Yes, I'll be running the IABs as they were designed. I've seen several dynos comparing the manifold with no spacers, multiple spacers, spacers with IABs, and IAB's removed completely, and I don't see any need to remove them, especially how our motors like to breathe down low. The goal here is to increase torque throughout the entire rpm range.

The IM and giant throttle body (12mm larger than stock) have provided HUGE improvements in throttle response for anyone who's used them. My goal is to see a minimum 5-8wtq increase across the lower half of the power and, and 8-10wtq across the upper half after tuning.

I'm not sure how those numbers will play out, considering the head work and new cam will be installed along with the IM to save me some labor. I've got hopes of an additional ~30+whp with those mods considering how well the car has responded so far. Once the stock exhaust is replaced and I get a better header, I'd like to see 200whp. :skurred:

Back