Heavy GAS smell....

dav3455

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have my 98 4cyl m/t and latley everytime I shut the car off I get this haevy gas smell which I think its coming from underneath the car but not to show? I mean the car does idle's a bit funny sometimes but not all the time and now I have no idea what can it be.....any help would be appricated since I really dont want to blow up!!! :flame:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Any fuel drips on the ground under the car?

Also take a look at the underside of the car, and see if anything looks like it is leaking or has been dripped on. Examine the fuel lines as well.

dav3455

Reaction score
Any fuel drips on the ground under the car?

Also take a look at the underside of the car, and see if anything looks like it is leaking or has been dripped on. Examine the fuel lines as well.

I check for leaks yesterday but nothing, it only comes up when I shut the car off for a few secounds and stops, never experince this issue before.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well if you’re positive it’s gas you’re smelling, it has to be either a vapor leak, which would trigger a CEL, or an actual fuel leak, which would have to be able to be seen somewhere. If no CEL is triggered and you can’t find any fuel drips anywhere after extensively looking, then you could get the car smoke tested for leaks.

I remember seeing someone talking about something being baked onto their exhaust, and that was their fuel smell source. I think it was in one of the P1457 threads. Seems a little less likely though.

Last edited:

dav3455

Reaction score
Ah ok, I will see if I can get the car smoke test and will try to put a cardboard box under the area overnight to see if there is infact a leak or vapor leak. Thanks for the assistance really appricate it.

Brad2274

Reaction score
Look around the evap canister under the car, they're know to have problems but usually throw codes, wouldnt hurt to check

dav3455

Reaction score
Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score
yeah i was about to send you that link lol, id do some more investigating first, maybe have autozone scan the car just incase, ive gotten codes before without a CEL

Back