Heel toe shifting

jwl03

Reaction score
Hey, have any of you guys tried heel-toe shifting in your car? I find it kind of hard to do, and wonder if any of you guys have any tips.

This is a simplified version of what I tried to do these past few days

1) Coming close to the turn, pressure is applied to the brake
2) When clutch goes in, I pivot the bottom of my rightfoot out (counterclockwise) and blip the gas. At the same time I blip the gas, I move the shift lever to the lower gear.
3) Clutch is released, and I slowly ease off the brake as I enter the turn, and add gas to keep momentum during the turn

Don't know if that made any sense, but I find it hard to pivot my foot so quickly during this process. Many times, I completely miss the gas pedal. My roommate suggested turning my body a little to the left, so that my foot has more room to turn.

angelplus

Reaction score
Yeah, I went into a class with my dad and just listened to the teacher talk about this. Though I dont have a clutch to work with and 5 gears to rip thru, I listned and it's something that will help handle your car when you are on the track. My dad told me when he was on the track that it is very critical while racing and will help control your car 3x better then before. But bascially what its doing is shifting the weight of the car into the turn. Basically 300 - 100ft before the turn you want to hit brake, find the apex, streer through, heel toe it, and then hit the gas through the turn.

Very confusing to learn but once time on it, it will become easier

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Having a nice set of pedals helps greatly. Our skinny rubber pedal cover just don't do the trick. I used to be able to do it in my 240SX.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
when i drive a manual, spirited kinda way, i usually try to use my right foots heel on the brake, and the toes on the gas, it works easier for me this way.......or just barely have my side of my shoe on the brake and literally roll my foot on the gas, like hte indy car drivers.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
angelplus said:
haha, I cant do it becuase I have an automatic.

get good at braking with your left fooot like myself;) hahaha, its a fun learning experience. but i wouldnt suggest doing it a lot, brake torquing the tranny heats that b!tch up REAL fast.

budwink222

Reaction score
i brake with my right foot and being 6foot 3 i cant fit my knees under the wheel so i cant really turn my foot and leg enough do i keep my right foot on the brake and i aply the break i kinda roll my foot to the right and catch the gass with the upper right part of my foot and blip the gass its like the part of my foot after the pinky toe its tough but i got it down pretty good.. its fun i rev match on every down shift i feel like its less violent on the engine in stead of jerking it into gear it goes in smooth = the torque just my .02

Back