help with heater. silly question perhaps.

Slim

Reaction score
Hello all, ive noticed on my 99 coupe, the heat coming from my vents doesn't seem to be warm when my engine temp warms up. say the engine temp is in the middle, but my heater vents are blowing cold for a bit. they do warm up, but it takes a bit, which is odd being that the motor says its warm. is there some sort of tstat on the heater core lines?

also another thing I noticed is when the heater is on vent/floor, the vents by the drivers/passangers windows and floor are on, but the middle vents above the climate control don't come on for a while, not till the car has been running a while. even though the engine reads warm on the dash.

these two things make me wonder if there is a thermostat in the heater core that also triggers the centre vent doors to open. or am I nuts? my coolant is full, so is my reservoir, so unless there is a bunch of crud in my heatercore or air, I don't know. but the centre vents lead me to ask what the heck is going on here.

Last edited:

twofast4u

Reaction score
I would first try changing the thermostat on the engine first, then go from there.

WilDFirE

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the automatic climate control, you'll want to confirm. But my old EX would move heat/warm/cool air around accordingly in order to meet the temperature correctly.

please elaborate

001Stunna

Reaction score
or am I nuts?

Yep you're nuts

If you haven't changed your tstat, change it with an OEM one.
Make sure the motor that controls your outlets works(feet, windshield, center, center/feet etc positions)

Your tstat has to open for coolant to flow.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
The temp gage is for dummies. Cold, norm, too hot. AKA, norm = 160 ~220 F, replace t stat.

Gmoney

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one who thought this compared to other cars my cg's heat was not as hot and took a while for it to reach hot air. I got a new thermostat when I did my swap, but even with the old engine it was the same.

Back