Help with Wiring LED Strips to key "ON" position? (SOLVED)

Silver99

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows of a 12v power source that turns on and off when the key is turned to the on position (preferably near the headlights). I'm wiring in custom leds and as of right now they are connected to the positive on the parking lights, but I would like them to be on all the time. Thanks!

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: Wiring help

So you are wanting to wire your LED's as DRL's? A few people have wired up DRL's using different methods, just give it a search and you'll find lots of info. Here's a good one, it is wired to the ignition so it's always on but he also used a switch so he could turn it off when he wanted.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558&highlight=DRL

Last edited:

Silver99

Reaction score

Thank you RedRyder! However, I don't get how to apply that to my car.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

It's the same principle, just he used bulbs instead of an LED strip (which is what I assume you're using), but it's still just a matter of positive and negative connections. According to the diagram you tap the ignition wire, use a couple 5-pin relays, and wire it up. The passenger plug on the OEM harness is not used, so it gets taped up, the driver plug gets tapped for power, then the wires run from it to the +/- wires on your LED strips.

Do you have the auto-off lights feature on your car? If so, the easiest way would be to just tap the parking lights as you already have and leave the switch on the end of the stalk on parking lights only. The lights will be always on when driving, including when you get out of the car and close the door, then go off after a short period of time.

If your car does not have the auto-off feature, you could just run the wires from the LED strips back to the firewall and through and then into the driver side underdash fusebox. Just not sure if you need any inline fuses or relays between. Someone more knowledgeable on wiring could address that.

Last edited:

Wht00Accord

Reaction score

I bought a led drl harness off eBay for my led strips it's a simple install just connect to positive and negative of the battery once the relay hits 13.2v it'll turn them on and when car is off and voltage drops. It has a 25 sec delay to turn them off.

Plus their is a full bright and dimming function.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Silver99

Reaction score

I know its been awhile, but for anyone wondering there is a connector in the drivers footwell that has 1 wire that turns on and off with the "ON" position on the key. It has a brown connector and I will upload pictures shortly, but it will be helpful for anyone trying to do DRLs like I did. I figured this out months ago but forgot to update the thread :banghead:

Silver99

Reaction score

This is definitely useful, thanks for sharing it!

No Problem! I'll upload pictures of the connector, location, how to depin it, and what color wire it is shortly. I knew it was a pain for me to figure out

Importguy2000

Reaction score

hey redryder... so i need to know if for the fog lights if you need a specific bumper or can you just wire them in a make em fit? Or at least which will look better a bumper equipped with fog light inserts or just inserting them?

Back