HID buzzing sound

BoyBlue

Reaction score
I just got may HID kit in the mail from DDM tuning. I hooked them up to make sure they work before I do my retrofit. I found that when I tested them without the relay harness everything is all good. When I test it out with the relay harness I get a buzzing sound. It's not loud and it only last for about 20 seconds. I'm not sure about this buzzing sound. Is this normal with HIDs?

001Stunna

Reaction score
I just got may HID kit in the mail from DDM tuning. I hooked them up to make sure they work before I do my retrofit. I found that when I tested them without the relay harness everything is all good. When I test it out with the relay harness I get a buzzing sound. It's not loud and it only last for about 20 seconds. I'm not sure about this buzzing sound. Is this normal with HIDs?

I believe it comes from the relay. I had it happen with my fog light harness relay for 1 year and then the relay went bad. Replaced it and it never happened with the new one...so i'd say play it out. Also make sure that all connections are tight and secure.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's normal when you turn them on, nothing wrong with them. Shouldn't last 20 seconds though.

blackcord

Reaction score
my ballasts make a humming/buzzing sound for about 10 seconds when I turn it on, then it goes away.

raqueno

Reaction score
Normal, I believe that's the sound the HIDs make while warming up so I assume it's that.

I do not have a relay on my kit and have the exact sound as well.

BoyBlue

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure my car wasn't going to burst into flames. I think I'm going to go ahead with the retrofit next weekend.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
I found a bad connection on my pass side ballast. (where the wires went into the box) made it buzz excessively. Fixed it. Now only a buzz sound when they 1st come on.

Back