Installing LED in Clock, Need help...

Jayson

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post ;)

I'm the new owner of a 2001 Honda Accord LX (had it for about 5 days now) and today I'm doing my first upgrade: replacing the burnt out light bulb with a new LED light. I found several threads on this with some good information but I do not have a soldering iron so I decided to try and put a new bulb in the little black twist off thing that the old light was in. I went to Frys and bought the new bulb ( Green 3mm 12V 12Vf @ 30mA w/ "built in integral resistor" ) and it fit perfectly into the black clip thing. I used a 9V battery to find the positive prong on the light (anode?) and marked it with a sharpie. I clipped the excess prongs and mounted the clip back on the clocks chip. I twisted the clip with a screwdriver so the positive prong i marked earlier was on the top half circle thing and the negative prong was on the bottom half circle. They both seem to be in contact, and with my limited knowledge of electronics (could you tell?) I figured I was in the clear.

I reassembled the clock, plugged it back into my car, and turned on the car. Turned on the headlights and.... nothing. I pulled the clock back out, reversed the polarity on the light with a screwdriver. Still nothing...

Did I get the right kind of lightbulb? Is this method not going to work? I'm flat broke and can't afford a soldering iron :(

Back