Intake Manifold Removal

RAULCR2K3

Reaction score
Has anybody removed the Intake Manifold or at least the top half of it while still in the engine bay. I plan to do it this weekend but by the looks of it, seems like its not going to be easy to even get to the nuts holding down the top half. Does anybody have any useful information they could share?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i have never got just the plenum out before, had to take out the whole IM

RAULCR2K3

Reaction score
How much of a Pain was that to remove? My biggest issue is getting to hard to reach IM nuts on the bottom portion. And if I do somehow get them off, how do I get the nuts back on for an air tight seal all around? Thanks for the input by the way. Any help is good help

NASOHC

Reaction score
The upper plentum is easy. It's the lower that will take at least 3-4 hours.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
How much of a Pain was that to remove?

the removal is kind of a pain, unpluag all the connector, banjo bolt on the fuel rail, but its not too bad. ive done it a few times now

My biggest issue is getting to hard to reach IM nuts on the bottom portion.

best way is to jack up the car and get under the car to get those bolts

And if I do somehow get them off, how do I get the nuts back on for an air tight seal all around?

just get them tight and you wont have any issues. if you dont trust yourself that way, torque them down to specs

RAULCR2K3

Reaction score
What did you use to get the three nuts close to the firewall? Obviously some socket wrench but what combination of extensions, ect. Reason I ask is because I plan to take one shot at this and I can't be running to the store without a car in mid project. lol(b4 somebody comes in with a smartass comment)

RAULCR2K3

Reaction score
the removal is kind of a pain, unpluag all the connector, banjo bolt on the fuel rail, but its not too bad. ive done it a few times now

best way is to jack up the car and get under the car to get those bolts

just get them tight and you wont have any issues. if you dont trust yourself that way, torque them down to specs

Thanks. If I can get away with just removing the top half that'll be even better though, saving me a couple hrs.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Top half is easy.

Use a smaller ratchet, slight extension, whatever size socket it is 10mm or 12mm.

3 bolts on the front, two on the back. Remove the vacumm/coolant hoses on both front and back. Unplugged any and all sensors. Pull it off.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
the only way to really get it off easy and get it a good air tight seal is if u take the whole head off... it will make it so much easier and maybe u might get into another project but hey thats up 2 u

Back