Interesting start-up problem... headlights the answer.

01_coupe

Reaction score
I've been having a recurring problem with my 2001 Accord (I4 5spd). After sitting for long periods of time (such as overnight), the car becomes difficult to start. Turn the key, 'click'.... turn it again, 'click'.... sometimes as many as 5 times or more before it hesitantly starts up.

Once it's running and warm, the car is fine. Just a few days ago, I turned the headlights on before starting it to see if the battery was low on juice, and the car fired up first time. Now, everytime before I start her up, I turn the headlights on first and the problem has gone away.

Now, I'm thinking maybe the headlights turning on signals the battery or something and gets the power flowing to the ignition? Main System Relay perhaps? Anyone encountered this before?

inv4zn

Reaction score
lol a lot of new guys from Vancouver...good good. Go say hey in the introduce yourself forums lol

As per your question...I'm really not sure.

But there are tons of very helpful guys on here, so just hang tight.

and Welcome =p

Fuzz

Reaction score
When was the last time you changed your battery?

Car batteries last on average 5 years in Canada. Vancouver or not, it still gets cold damnit.

01_coupe

Reaction score
I've had the car just shy of 2 years... but I'm guessing the battery is probably over the 5 year mark. Just to be safe, I may as well buy a new one for the peace of mind.

I thought the headlights helped, but the problem keeps occuring. I'll replace the battery, and if it doesn't help, looks like she's going back to the shop.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
yeah sounds like a battery issue.. take it over to autozone they can test your battery and alternator for free on the spot

Back