Just a general chat

guytv

Reaction score
Has anybody ran into trouble with the law for having the high beam portion painted with the yellow glass stain color? I am in California. I want to do it, but not if it gets me into trouble.

guytv

Reaction score
Is the yellow portion worth it? I haven't seen them in person yet. I have my headlights taken apart as I am cleaning the lens. So, I got until tomorrow. To have an idea of how my headlights will look if I do it: it is retrofitted with the reflector part of the long amber strip taken off. The amber strips are still on. Do you think this combination will look good?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The important thing is to not spray the stain glass tint too heavily, you're already losing a little output by painting it so you just want to spray enough to get the look you want and then stop. Or the other option is just put a yellow glass bulb in there. Personally I think yellow and amber sort of clash in a headlight.

I've had yellow high beam reflectors for a few years with no issues, but I live in Ohio where cars are not hated.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i've always just ran the yellow bulbs in my high beams. you still get the look when you look at the headlight just right since they're reflected off the housing. i was pulled over once for yellow lights in my low beams though, but those are on all the time as well. i'm in NJ and the police usually aren't too strict on car related stuff, but they will still get you for stupid things occasionally. you won't exactly be high beaming a cop either, i'd hope :lawl: so i think you'll be alright.

Last edited:

guytv

Reaction score
Good replies.:waytogo: I'm thinking I might keep the corner amber strip and remove the amber strip in the front so that it is just the silver reflector. Do you still think it would clash?:shrug: I might try the yellow bulb to see if I like the yellow housing look.:waytogo:

My plan on spraying the housing yellow was to make it just a tint of yellow not to deep. kind of like the picture below in the link:

http://s43.photobucket.com/user/EazyM3/media/front1.jpg.html

Also, I'm assuming that running yellow bulbs in the housing will look similar to the orange bulb in the housing on the corner of the headlights. Is it right to think of it that way? Just need to get a picture in my head. I don't need the housing to be super yellow. So, I'm thinking this might work for me.

Last edited:
Back