Mah new box truck.

nsjames

Reaction score
back on this.

I bought a 150" ambulance box. I'll have to extend my ramps about 40" to fit the Jeep.
Roof of he ambulance box will be flush with the top of the cab, so my aerodynamics are going to be way better. Some rough calcs on a napkin regarding frontal area and wind resistance say that 12 MPG should be completely possible @ 65 MPH, so that's a 25% improvement in mileage.

We'll also be shaving about a thousand pounds of weight off this pig. So total GCVW with my rig on the back and the wife's cherocar in tow should be about 22,000 lbs.

interior pics:
DSCF2333.jpg

DSCF2337.jpg

I'll be converting the bench into a flip out bed. Need to keep the bench for travel so we can take passengers. Splitting fuel and taking someone elses rig out to Moab next fall. really hlps defray my fuel costs wen you can split it 3 ways.

There's a passthrough with a door you can see in the first picture, the door is 46" tall.

There's some space in the back that used to be for oxygen tanks and such, that's going to get repurposed and used for a toilet. Since the ceiling height is so low I'm forgetting about a shower inside, so it will have an outside shower with the shower wand accessible from one of the exterior doors.
my wife said it had to have a toilet, or I'd say F that as well.

Sometimes you have to give in.

anyway, go to pick up the box end of this month, I'm going to drop it in my driveway so I can work on it at my leisure. Once it's nearly finished I'll destroy the existing box and drop it onto the chassis so it can be integrated with the electrical and place the tanks. I hope to do that in the spring when it first warms up. This pig is too big for me to work on it indoors :(

after the box is on and mounted to the chassis I'll have to build a new hauler bed on the back and extend the chassis. Part of the chassis extension will include a new 2" receiver so we can flat tow the Cherokee behind. This way I still avoid having a trailer.

nsjames

Reaction score
so, it only took 3 months for dude to get that thing off the chassis, but i brought it home today:

2013-02-09163525_zps71d8998f.jpg

nothing about this load was safe.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
hahahaa....yet another project....yeah, gotta agree, that doesn't look too secure.

What happened with the truck?

nsjames

Reaction score
hahahaa....yet another project....yeah, gotta agree, that doesn't look too secure.

What happened with the truck?

I still have it.

The ambulance body is going on the truck.

Think of it like a 12 foot class c motorhome on a 40 ft class a chassis, I'm just going to have 18ft of flat deck after the motorhome part.

the single biggest downside to the truck as it came from uhaul is not being able to take passengers. This way I can seat 5 with seatbelts, tow two and split fuel. It also makes it much more saleable when I'm done with it because someone can take their whole family racing or whatever.

I'm going to build the new bed to be racecar friendly, my wife wants a go fast car(small and british+LS motor), and when we're done with it that's a much bigger crowd to sell to than just 4 wheelers.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Right...I see, I read the part up top after, the ambulance box is an extension.

So, after all this is fabricated and assembled, do you plan on painting it all one colour, or design something multi-colour for it?

nsjames

Reaction score
Right...I see, I read the part up top after, the ambulance box is an extension.

So, after all this is fabricated and assembled, do you plan on painting it all one colour, or design something multi-colour for it?

Both of our Jeeps are burgundy, so toter will be painted to match.

You reach pimp status when your tow rig and trail rig are color matched ;)

SykVSyx

Reaction score
hahaha.....no doubt.

Should be something to see once you get the ambulance box all finished up.

nsjames

Reaction score
Having a wife complicates ever project I swear.

Bathroom stuff is stupid expensive.

The single biggest expense is going to be the black tank.
Going combined grey/black tank as it fits my space better, and vastly cuts down on the complexity and cost of my venting and valves.

I need something this size and capacity:
http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=S-H2050-1

but I'd surely like to spend less money on it.

I've thought about building my own tank out of plywood and fiberglassing the inside, but do I really want to clean up a black tank if/when my fabrication fails?
Who's the fiberglass expert round here?

nsjames

Reaction score
Seems like a doomsday, bug out vehicle build thread haha
Nice work so far
it will run on most anything you can put in the tank as long as you thin it with 10-15% gas and it's filtered so it won't clog the fuel system.

that was a factor when I bought the chassis before I converted it to toterhome. ;)

Back