Manual transmission fluid change?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I saw a youtube interview with the owner of Spoon Sports, he recommended changing the mtf at the same time as the engine oil. Think about it, there's no filter to catch any shavings or debris from your missed shifts or loaning the car to your little sister, etc. What's worked well for me is Chevron Delo 400, 40wt (summer only) 15w40 with a few onces of atf for the winter. My car used to be hard to get into 1st, that was with the crappy honda stuff (the older stuff)

Thats because at spoon sports, they're beating up their cars, or they dont know how to shift, OR they change their oil every 20,000 miles. :lawl: I hate when people recommend un-necessary ****. I have had two miss shifts since I went manual 1 year ago, and I have not changed my fluid and nothing has changed in the way the car shifts either....

Last edited:

5spd'r

Reaction score
Delo 400 is about $12/gal at Walmart, so I'm adding $6 to every oil change by changing the tranny oil at the same time, running synthetic oil it get's changed 2X a year. $12/yr is pretty cheap tranny insurance. I guess I'm paranoid 'cause my last two cars had synchro issues related to whatever the previous owner did/didn't do. If I switched to Redline mtf I'd probably leave it in there for a couple years, can't seem to find that around here though.

Back