Misfire codes after heater hose replaced

98-EX-Leather

Reaction score
I will try to make this short.

1998 accord ex-l 2.3 ulev motor auto
177k miles.

Drove the vehicle this morning to work to see white smoke coming from engine and the smell of coolant burning.

Had someone purchase 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant for the way home.

After getting out of work i top it off via the radiator and rushed to get home which is about 25 minutes. Mostly highway. The temperature today was in the mid 30's. Pretty cold.

There was a bit of white smoke which i saw while on the highway and about 10 minutes in the heat stopped working. It started to blow cold air.

After getting out of the highway and coming to a light it got really bad. Smoke was coming from the engine bay. I pulled over, shut the car off and poured additional coolant in the radiator to get me home.

I finally got home pulled it in the garage and waited for it to cool down.

After cooling down and with the engine off. I opened the bleeder valve near the thermostat and started to add coolant through the radiator in hoped of finding the leak. I started to hear splatter and was able to trace the leak. It was the heater hose and it had split on the end where the distributor is located.

Of course getting the hose was not a big problem. Went to AZ purchased a new one and attempted to reinstall. However i ran into a problem hooking the end below the distributor.

I carefully removed the cap, keeping all wires in tact followed by removing the 2 bolts holding the distributor in place. I turned it slightly while still in place and pulled it straight out taking notice of how much i turned it.

I finished the heated house install and put everything back together.

Bleed the coolant system with engine off. Topped off coolant and proceeded to start the car up. It started right up. While it was warming up to make sure the fans kicked on prior to calling it done the car started putting slightly.

At first i did not pay it any mind and continued to wait until i heared the fans. Putting still occurred. I rev the car to 2000 rpms and held it for a few which made the putting go away.

After 20 minutes of warming up and no fans i pulled out my scanner.

I had 2 codes.

- p1301
And
-p1399

After pulling codes and before shutting down the car the fans kicked on. One problem fixed now to look at another.

I checked all my connections and even removed the cap and distributor again to make sure nothing was missed.

I am at a stand still and cannot figure out the problem.

Additional details:
- a full tune up was recently performed.

Again, any help would be useful as i need my vehicle for work.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Angel

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Accordx

Reaction score
This one's got me stumped. I had the same hose go on my car, did the same bleeding process as well. Car ran a little funny for a few days (rough idle, laggy shifts) but has been fine for a couple months now. I would recommend replacing the rest of your hoses though as you probably don't want to go through that headache again, other than that, I don't know how to help.

Accordx

Reaction score
Did u remove the distributor as well?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yes I did, I also had replaced the distributor about a year before. I'm not an expert on the distributor but you may want to see if that's your issue? I can't be sure though.

Back