Most Comfortable 17 Inch Tire Size

TeeJ

Reaction score
I'm looking to change over to some larger rims now that I'm on teins street advance coilovers, however some of the roads here are pretty horrible. I don't want to make the ride in any way less comfortable or likely to break a rim with a tiny strip of rubber for a tire. I was looking around the 215/50/17 range, i know people are on smaller sizes, but is there a size that will fit our cars that will give it a nicer ride than on thinner ones? I want like a large sidewall and 17 inch rim, but I don't know what size is too big or silly to put on this car. I know I could go with a smaller rim size, but I think it'd look better with bigger.

Last edited:

LoveMyAccord423

Reaction score
I currently have 17s on mine with 205 40s but the roads here are crappy too and I am gonna try a slightly larger tire. Im gonna be going with a 215 45. Hopefully that will be a bit better without throwing odometer off too much.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
With 17's you want a 50 sidewall to maintain overall diameter and keep the speedo/odo accurate. Or a 45 sidewall depending on your section width, but no less.

Play with a tire calculator, helps to visualize new wheel/tire specs in comparison to your OEM size.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I'm on Tein coilovers and 17" wheels with 215/50 tires. My wheel, tire, and suspension choices are specifically aimed at the highest comfort level I could achieve on my ride.

Durability on wheels is also important, when it comes to driving on the rough roads. Currently, I drive w/ the stiffest damping setting, and hit some nasty road dips, once in a long while, but the wheels are always fine. With that said, I'd recommend you stay away from heavily cheap / unknown brands, b/c they can crack in a breeze.

If you're really concerned about your speedo being off by getting a different tire diameter, spend some time on playing around with a tire calculator:
 ↓
http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

As far as the look, anything going more than 50 series will look the tire bulky 'n no so sharp on 6GA imo. Although it depends on the design of a wheel, 50 series wouldn't look so bulky unless looking at it very closely. (Take a look at my ride thread and you be the judge.)

GL, and have fun deciding on your favorite shoes to wear!

P.S.

It's TEchnological INnovation: TEIN. Not Tien. ;)

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
n71802238_31820453_1782.jpg

215/45-17 on 17x9

It rode nice, to me. I used the car on gravel roads, 45mph on gravel was no problem, you could have easily gone much faster, but that was the speed limit :D

Now I'm on 215/45-18 which rides almost the same.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
ignore the 'uni-wiper' That was my quick fix when the d/s stopped and it was raining, it has been fixed correctly for years :p

Back