MPG - a little low?

mossberg

Reaction score
The chart shows the miles per gallon I've gotten since buying this I4 MT coupe with 117k miles on it. I'm not an aggressive driver. The spikes in MPG correspond to long trips (1k mi. round trips). Local driving involves a high proportion of errands like groceries, which are often <1-2 miles.

The spike at the end, where I hit 35 mpg for the first time since buying this car, captures the end of a 500mi trip, though it's not clear to me why other long trips didn't hit the 35mpg range (those usually topped out in the 32mpg range).

As you can see, I've got lots of fill-ups where I'm getting 24-27 mpg. Does this seem about right? It seems a little low to me, given what I've seen posted online in Accord forums, but not sure if those guys are taking accurate measurements or just guesstimating.

If it is on the low side for MPG, any tips on increasing fuel efficiency? I replaced the spark plugs soon after buying the car.

Last edited:

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Seems fine to me, they are rated at 28mpg city and getting old now so I think its fine. You can try seafoam, it bumped me up a couple mpg, quite a significant difference

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
That's not bad.

My average with an I4 and auto is anywhere from 26-32 depending on what I was going that week. Highway I'll top out at 30-32. If anything you're getting really good numbers

Styles93

Reaction score
Seafoam is a motor treatment it cleans the carbon build and do much more. Search on YouTube on how to Seafoam your car.

wsdrummer06

Reaction score
i can solve this problem for you..... just buy a civic lol I never though of an accord as a gas saver so im fine just ignoring its consumption and using my energy elsewhere

phi1542

Reaction score
i got a 99 accord v6 coupe and 1 tank only last me about a week. is this normal? my gas runs out so fast its ridiculous. i have to pay 50 to 60 bucks a week for a damn fill up! -__- ive tried everything from gas additives, sea foam, changing spark plug, wire, cap and rotor, and switching to synthetic oil. :(

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
i got a 99 accord v6 coupe and 1 tank only last me about a week. is this normal? my gas runs out so fast its ridiculous. i have to pay 50 to 60 bucks a week for a damn fill up! -__- ive tried everything from gas additives, sea foam, changing spark plug, wire, cap and rotor, and switching to synthetic oil. :(

I mean.. How far do you have to drive everyday? Haha like I only fill up every two weeks

mossberg

Reaction score
How can anyone possibly answer that question without knowing how many miles you're driving?

I use an android app called Fuel Log to accurately measure mileage.

Back