Multiple leaks on '99 F23A4

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Every oil change I pour in a whole 5 quarts. The manual states 4.5 quarts but to fill to the top of the dipstick level takes a full 5 quarts for me.

mossberg

Reaction score
Okay, so small update here. I had the dizzy mount o-ring replaced, the one that you replace by just taking the dizzy off. I got an OEM part for it. That stemmed a little of the leaking, as I don't see nearly as much oil covering that space between dizzy and valve cover anymore. But, I'm still seeing oil coming from the dizzy cap, which I assume is the inner o-ring. So, I will probably get the dizzy replaced (or have the shop replace the inner ring, I don't think I could do it properly) soon. The valve cover is leaking also. I will get both of these replaced and then monitor the oil leak from there.

I found out I've been putting too much oil in the car during oil changes. I could have sworn it says to put 5 quarts in. But the other day, I read the owner's manual, and it states 4.5 quarts MAX. So, no wonder these seals are going bad. I feel like an idiot.

The PS pump is also leaking, but when I had it inspected in November, they said I could replace the seals or the pump entirely, but it's not dire. The reservoir isn't losing that much fluid; should be okay for the time being.
I don't think an extra 1/2 quart is going to cause your seals to go bad. These are old cars and seals age.

If you check my earlier post, the shaft seal in the distributor is not a difficult DIY job. But see how much a shop will charge and then decide if it's worth your time to DIY.

Back