My traffic violations

Discussion in 'Life Lessons' started by Valet, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

Alright, so I'll start from the beginning. I got pulled over for the first time in September of 2011. I was doing 63 in a 50 and was given a warning. I learned nothing from the warning an in, I think November, I was pulled over doing 67 in a 40 (in my pops IS-F, got rid of it cause we both got tickets in it). I had like a $280 fine or something insane like that, as well as 3 points. I requested a trial to attempt to get out of it. It took them until like February for some reason... Anyways, I was blatantly caught, no reason to be going that fast. I was gambling on the officer not showing up basically. Well the officer showed up, but the judge was nice, asked if I learned my lesson, I said yes of course, and she let me go. No points, no fine. Afterwards, kinda slowed down but not entirely, stupid me.

The next time was August 2012. I was pulled over going 52 in a 40. There was a van doing the same speed that was maybe 1.5 car lengths in front of me. The cop was on a curve pointing directly at the road, never saw him until the curve came. So I believe he never actually radared the front of MY car. But rather got the van and just got me. Probably because you're going to get the old honda with 2 teenage guys rather than a mom in her van. But whatever. 2 points, stupid maryland, and a $90 fine. Figured that was ****ing dumb and just paid it. 1 month later, I get my notice of suspension... Apparently 2 violations in 18 months of first having you license means a 1 month suspension. My parents wanted me to take it as a lesson to me. So I took it.. And it sucked. From then on I drove, and still drive, the speed limit. Never going more than 5 over. I also got restrictions where my provisional period (18 months) restarted. Also could only drive to work and school, and some family things within reason. If I got another violation I would be facing 6 months suspension

This is where stuff gets stupid. So this past Wednesday, I was going to my friends house. Turn onto a road I always go on. 30 mph limit for this road that has a steep hill, greater than 30% slope, that is more than a quarter mile long. I approach the hill at 32, give or take, and go to coast like I always do. I was paying attention to this homeless looking guy walking up basically the center of my lane. So I'm looking at him and go mostly into the oncoming lane, no cars coming obviously. I also am breaking a little bit because that slope and distance I could coast to well over 60mph. And when I'm almost at the bottom I see a cop parked in a driveway behind a bush and a tree. And I'm thinking oh **** how fast was I going, I see like 40. I go past, and he pulls out, I'm thinking I'm ****ed, life is over. The cop says I was going 45mph in the 30, didn't think I ever reached that but whatever. He asked where I was going, typical question, I said home. So he gives the me citation, says nothing about breaking a restriction at first. But when I look at the ticket it says exceeding speed and breaking a restriction. So I'm like what the **** I said I was going home, it was right after school got out, by the way. Granted it would be a long way to go but it was in the same direction. Whatever.

So now I'm facing my options. I cannot do 6 months. So I'm going to on Monday mail my thing in requesting a trial. I'm hoping through reasoning I can get it thrown out. Here's some possible reasons I thought could do something:

-The homeless man being very distracting to my safety, his own, and others.
    -Showing the math behind the coasting acceleration, proving that I had to be braking somewhat.
    -Braking the entire way down is causing premature brake wear and rotor warpage. Which in time will cause more danger.

That's all I can really think of, not very strong but I'm hoping for petty.

The next obstacle is the suspension. I believe that even if this ticket gets thrown out, they can still give it to me. So obviously I'll need a lawyer to appeal the suspension. I need to drive for school, work, and family obligations like things for my brother mostly. Also going to attempt to use the fact that I was obviously breaking while going down the steep hill, its not like I was gettin' it down the hill or blatantly speeding. The cop was clearly speed trapping. With all this hopefully it will show my improvement and the judge will attempt to understand. There also could be some sort of a loop hole or something the lawyer could know of.

I'm not trying to say I'm innocent and the state is "hatin", because I'm clearly technically guilty. But I know that I learned from my previous things and have completely slowed down, so I'm pretty nervous and butt-hurt about the situation, haven't even told my parents yet.. Does anybody have any advice or input on the situation? Thanks for reading

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Akingkhan

Akingkhan Well-Known Member

Re: Traffic violations- need advice/reassurance

Good luck with that

3. eggs

eggs Well-Known Member

You should look into get a lawyer

4. 2002CG3coupe

2002CG3coupe Well-Known Member

Lawyer up and get one that knows the judges personally, it might help.

5. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

Traffic violations- need advice/reassurance

Obviously need a lawyer. I'm guessing I should probably get one that specializes in this rather than my parents lawyer?

6. CrosCntryAccord

CrosCntryAccord Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  7. hiddengamer7

hiddengamer7 Well-Known Member

First step, tell your parents.

8. 98ExAccordwv

98ExAccordwv I'm Old

You'll more than likely never get a judge to go with option 2 or 3. They'll basically tell you the speed limit is the speed limit, whether coasting downhill or not.

Definitely tell you parents as will suggested, and you may need a lawyer. But if you can honestly argue that you were going home, then you should be able to get the restriction violation dropped. But, unless you're lucky the ticket for speeding more than likely will stick. Especially since they've already let you off once.

9. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

I'm gonna tell my dad tonight about it. And I'm not so much worried about the ticket as I am the suspension. I just figured the ticket getting thrown out would help.

But I'll need a lawyer to appeal the suspension. My dad has gotten out of a suspension before because he had work and family responsibilities. I just don't know if my arguments will be enough for them. As far as saying I was still within my restrictions, I can easily argue that I was going home.

I'm also worried about the cost of the lawyer... That'll take a pretty big hit as I suspect my parents won't be willing to pay for it.

10. Valet

Valet IS300 SX > Accord

My dad basically said, "it's your life and your mistakes. So you have to take care of it. I'll help you out but I'm not doing everything for you."

I'm hoping that the tickets will be thrown out because I can explain that I was going home, because school did just get out, and that the circumstances weren't great. There was the homeless guy walking up my side of the road like a couple of feet into my lane. So I had to go onto the other lane, I was more focused on him and other cars coming rather than my speed. And since its a really really steep hill its not like I was going to stay at 30.

No idea about the suspension trial. Hoping my parents testimony that they need me to take my brother to all of his soccer and school stuff while they're working will help. That and me working and needing to go to school, the lawyer will also help greatly. The tickets being dismissed will also help because it will show that perhaps I have changed, and just have really bad luck. I have but they have no way of knowing it, and I do just have really bad luck.

The big question in the back of my mind is, am I arguing something I have no chance in hell of winning?