Need Advice, might have to sell car... :(

kashmeister

Reaction score
So guys, I took off my valve cover. Then I took out my rocker arms. After close examination, I determined:

-The pad on one of the intake rocker arms was completely worn down. The valve stems, and even the tappets looks to be good.

-Two of the "timing plates" for the VTEC are broken. (part #13: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/large/valve-rocker-arm-456520.png)

-Spark plugs are oily? And have carbon on them. Its been only like 5000 miles and theyre NGK iridium plugs.

Some youtube vids I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07rMyyaHPTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ytNGu1bV2s

I'm pretty sure this explains my high RPM misfire (according to ECU)

PDF on how the timing plate is used:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/TrevHelpsYou/2008-05-09_025728_one.pdf

I didn't expect this, so I have all the parts for 5spd swap and timing belt

So now I have a bunch of options:

Option 1: Keep car, fix the problems. Then change the timing belt. Then 5spd swap

Option 2: Run car until it dies. Swap used engine. then change timing belt. Then 5spd swap

Option 3: Run car until it dies. Sell timing + 5spd parts. Part out all mods on car + stock parts. Sell the rest for metal.

Option 4: Sell car now (with mods). and buy a new car.

Option 5: Restore car to stock phase and sell parts. Sell car (without mods)

WTF should i do???

thx guys. i love you. no homo

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
Option 1 or 3

Im not one for buying a huge headache that needs a lot of work and im sure a lot of people feel the same way so buying a car with problems and mods its always iffy in the market bc people dont know exactly what was done to it or how and by who. Keep it to yourself and either fix it or get as much as you can out of it. You would be making your money go further to just put the money in it and run it as long as a Honda runs....practically forever

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
I would go with option 1
Sucks to have all that stuff standing in the way of your swap, but I bet the feeling of accomplishment will be so much greater when you get everything done.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
#4 is the worst thing you could do. And #5 is is the 2nd worst, if these problems are noticeable while driving, no one will want it. The other options depend on whether you want to keep the car or want something new. If you decide you love the car and want to fix it, start getting repair estimates.

I wouldn't drive the car as it is, that will just make things worse, and you'll have more work later.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
A used engine can be had for less than the repairs to the head. Replace the engine do the timing and swap it to 5 spd.

kashmeister

Reaction score
Damn, the responses are all over the board...

The engine has 200psi in each cylinder.

And it runs perfectly, just 5-6k RPM is louder than usual, and the CEL flashes.

I've gotten the following codes:

-Misfire Cyl1
-Misfire Cyl2
-Misfire Cyl3
-Misfire Cyl4
-Random Misfire
-VTEC malfunction (safe mode)

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Damn, the responses are all over the board...

The engine has 200psi in each cylinder.

And it runs perfectly, just 5-6k RPM is louder than usual, and the CEL flashes.

I've gotten the following codes:

-Misfire Cyl1
-Misfire Cyl2
-Misfire Cyl3
-Misfire Cyl4
-Random Misfire
-VTEC malfunction (safe mode)

In that case, skip the long block and get a used head to swap on the bottom end.

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
just do an engine and tranny swap and trash whatever you got going on at the moment lol

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Option 1 or 2 for sure.. I'm leaning towards 1, because you have more control over your situation than if your car dies as stated in option 2. Put a good head on the existing block and you're good, in addition change timing belt and regular engine maintenance. If you're all about starting fresh, just build from the ground up that's all.

kashmeister

Reaction score
OK guys, I thought of my situation long and hard (TWSS), and I decided that I want to sell all the 5spd parts and the timing belt kit.

I will either find someone that'll buy my car

or

Drive on it until it breaks and part out everything

Back