Need help matching subs with an amp

sleeper4bngr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a super noob when it comes to sound and audio. I have never owned a system and until recently never really looked into getting a system for my car. Well a friend of mine handed me over 2 10' subs in a box for free and I now I want to get an amp to power them and hook them up. They each hold 100 watts RMS and have a 4 ohm impedance, and with all the research I've been doing, I still need help combining the perfect amp with them. I've been looking at a lot of 2-channel amps that I can bridge together but I'm not exactly sure what capacity I should look for, or any features or specs that I should be mindful of. I want to set this system up and run it for a while b4 O upgrade to something a little beefier. Thanks guys and any info would be greatly appreciated.

sleeper4bngr

Reaction score
when looking for my amp, should I look for 100 watts rms bridged? or each line (bridged 200)?

sleeper4bngr

Reaction score
I would like to not go over 100, if possible. If you recommend something above my budget, still please let me know so I can consider rethinking my approach. As I said before, I'm a noob and don't know everything needed.

xx24xx

Reaction score
You might be able to find something in Walmart. Check ebay too. Look for Crunch, JBL or Hifonics.

You should plug the sub's speaker terminals into a wall plug to make sure the subs still work. :chucklesfawk:

sleeper4bngr

Reaction score
mono(1 channel) amp is what u need. i need to know the ohm config of the subs though

The impedance is 4 ohms and its so hard to find a mono amp with such low capacity as 100 or even close, the lowest ive been able to find is like 300w RMS. If I run an amp of that size low enough as to not blow the subs, won't there be long term damage done to amp? That's what ive been told.

You might be able to find something in Walmart. Check ebay too. Look for Crunch, JBL or Hifonics.

You should plug the sub's speaker terminals into a wall plug to make sure the subs still work. :chucklesfawk:

I know they still work and thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if theyre single 4s, you have a couple options http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=41

what kind are these subs, anyway? 100w each doesnt seem like theyd take a lot of extra power.

you could run them bridged for an 8 ohm load to an amp making ~400rms. or, you could bridge them for a 2 ohm load on an amp making ~300rms @ 2 (but make sure its 2 ohm stable). or, you could run each speaker in stereo to an amp making ~150x2 @ 4 ohms stereo or mono. my 400 x 1 @ 4 amp makes 100 x 2 at the same impedance, to give you an idea.

if i were in your shoes, id try to locate something like a factory refurbished infinity/jbl amp on ebay since they come with a warranty. actually...if i were you...i would be looking for a better sub(s) and NOT buy an amp for ****ty subs unless i was planning on moving it to the front stage eventually :hide:

Back