Need help with my 6th gen! URGENT!

riCewu

Reaction score
anyone know if honda would deal with this problem, even after warranty??

I second that question. I'm not really down to blow a grand on the car right now.

Funny thing is, car has been starting normal today and the CEL went off on its own .. is that normal?

UCLAcivic

Reaction score
To answer questions:
1. I took the bulletin into a few Honda dealerships: most said no, they will not cover the problem and said to call Honda. One dealer offered me a 20% discount to get it fixed, but it still came out to over $800.
2. I called Honda Customer Care, they said I had to go through the "Goodwill Repair" program process: take it to a dealer, have them diagnose the problem, then call them back and discuss with a case manager who will consider the car's age, mileage, service history, # owners, etc. If they do find a substantial amount of evidence, then they will give a goodwill repair credit up to 50%. But you have to have it serviced at the dealer. I did not meet all their criteria, so I would have only rec'd a max credit of 20% (same as dealer).
3. The car will drive fine, it is only a matter of time before the problem shows up again: factors like the weather, amount of vehicle operation and fuel can affect the outcome. I have had this problem for months and have spent countless hours researching and trying to find a solution.
4. I will email you a copy of the bulletin by Monday.
5. Currently, I have decided to try swapping a used ECU from the same make/model/trim 6th gen that did not exhibit my problem and installing a new OEM FPR. My mechanic said this may fix the problem, but the used ECU may eventually exhibit the same problem down the road. The only way to guarantee that it will not show up again is to install a new ECU. However, I am spending money on a 6-speed swap and am trying to save where I can, so hopefully this works.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
SK

yusuf_mohammad

Reaction score
A quick update for everyone on my situation, so my check engine light came back few days after i got my codes cleared and changed my plugs for the second time. This time around the code that showed up is P0401 which is EGR insufficient flow i didnt get any misfire codes. After consulting with my mechanic he suggested that it was possible that the egr port is clogged causing the cylinders to fire improperly and making the car all sluggish. I just wanted someones input if I should go ahead and jus get the ports cleaned along with the EGR or clean the ports and a new EGR, any input would be great and sorry to the person who started this thread dont mean to hijack it :p.

riCewu

Reaction score
A quick update for everyone on my situation, so my check engine light came back few days after i got my codes cleared and changed my plugs for the second time. This time around the code that showed up is P0401 which is EGR insufficient flow i didnt get any misfire codes. After consulting with my mechanic he suggested that it was possible that the egr port is clogged causing the cylinders to fire improperly and making the car all sluggish. I just wanted someones input if I should go ahead and jus get the ports cleaned along with the EGR or clean the ports and a new EGR, any input would be great and sorry to the person who started this thread dont mean to hijack it :p.

I've done an EGR and port clean out, didn't help, still got misfires and went and changed all my spark plugs and coil packs as the second solution suggested by another mechanic.

Its good to keep EGR clean though I'd say do that and see if it still is causing the problem.

Todays story is about storms here on 6GA:

He came down to Vancouver BC today for the REVscene meet tomorrow. So when he arrived, he had got out of his car and checked in at a hotel, came out and started his car right back up, went to the underground parking? and unloaded his belongings in his room, came back out and started up his car.. everything was fine. He then saw he had only a quarter fuel left so he went and filled up with low grade 87 fuel, left and went to meet up with me and inv4zn (also from 6GA) and had tried to start up his car before we arrived there and it wouldn't start, same problem I'm having. So my guess now is low grade fuel = vapor locking in the fuel pump.

I'm going to start using midgrade and see how that works out.. planning on using mid grade for 3-4 fill ups seeing if anything works.

Back