New Panasonic 42" Plasma:cool:

NINaudio

Reaction score
720p > 1080i.

Lets get in depth with the real difference between the two resolutions. 720p is a progressive res., meaning all 1-720 lines of res. are sent at the same time. 1080i is an interlaced res., meaning you only get the even or odd lines at any given moment. You're only getting 540 lines of res. with 1080i, evens for 1/60th of a second then odds for another 1/60th of a second.

If you do the actual math of the number of pixels, they're pretty much comparable in terms of picture drawn. 1080i: 1.036 megapixels per frame, 720p: 0.92 megapixels per frame. That's why 1080I sets will do 720p without a problem. Depending on the content it will be more or less noticeable. Overall though, I'd choose 720p over 1080i if I couldn't afford a 1080p set and was in the market for a new tv. Also, not everything comes over the air at 60fps, NTSC standard is 24 fps. (Edit: sports broadcasts are usually made at 60 fps, and if you watch mostly sports, then you should probably watch it in a progressive mode)

Last edited:

HomerJay

Reaction score
I'm not ready to take that plunge yet. I work for Best Buy and can get a pretty good deal on either, but it's just too soon. I'm not ready for a paper weight. I wanna buy BluRay, but Sony's track record just isn't stellar for this stuff. I'm giving it another 6 months.

Believe me, some sort of HD Disc format is in my future.
The thing that's telling about Sony's shortcomings in creating a successful format is the whole interactivity thing. If you buy a Blu-ray player before October (or possibly later), your player is GUARANTEED to become obsolete. I don't understand how anyone would willingly pay for that!! Not to mention the much higher cost of Blu-ray.

On HD DVD, you've got complete interactivity. Online titles such as Blood Diamond will work (including ALL interactivity) on first generation models as well as current models. Sony et al seem content to force double dipping even on hardware!!...:squintfinger:...and at twice the price!!

The main point I was making was that next gen hardware is quickly entering "impulse buy" territory. A year ago, it cost $500 to get a player, they're now available for $250. I don't know what price you were looking at for an upconversion player. If I'm not mistaken, they can still be had for ~$200 for better players. For $50 more, the HD DVD player would be a better deal. Progressive players (mere 480p component players) cost more for a longer period of time!!

Hopefully hardware will become even more affordable around 7/31...when 300 is released...:D...with lossless sound...:D...sorry, I just love my HD DVD...:)...oh, and region freedom enables importing of "exclusive" Blu-ray titles such as The Prestige, Underworld, etc. is so very nice!!...:thumbsup:

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
iI camped out at BestBuy last Thanksgiving and bought the same tv for $1K. Its freaking amazing. How good of a deal could you "not pass up"?

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
iI camped out at BestBuy last Thanksgiving and bought the same tv for $1K. Its freaking amazing. How good of a deal could you "not pass up"?

I didn't think we carried the 75U at Thanksgiving, it's relativity new. Best Buy rolled it out about two months ago. Could have been the 60U??

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
IMG_3650.jpg

Better picture:)

Back