Nikon D40 Question

FlipStylie

Reaction score
So, I'm in the market for an amateur DSLR and I've come across a friend who is currently looking to get rid of his D40. Overall I've read some pretty good reviews about this camera. However, the consistent drawback I hear is that there is a limit to the lenses this camera can use do to the lack of a focus motor.

Just in general opinion, for a person who is probably not gonna start his own studio anytime soon, but wants the versatility and clarity that comes with a dslr (as opposed to a point N shoot); would the reduced lens selection be something to weigh in alot when deciding on the D40 or is there still enough of a good selection for this camera?

Also any input about the D40 that you can give would be helpful, i.e. nuances or particulars about the camera that might not be captured in a general review.

Thanks Guys,

JC

nexTOme

Reaction score
OT:just buy my camera, practice with it, then upgrade to 5D or 1D or something :D

shavedaccord

Reaction score
OT:just buy my camera, practice with it, then upgrade to 5D or 1D or something :D
Yeah buy a $250 point and shoot, practice then upgrade to a $2000+ setup that works completely different.. sounds like a smart idea lol. That's like going from Little League Baseball one day to playing MLB the next.

I've played with the Nikon d40 in the past and I absolutely hated it. Some people love them, some don't. It's really personal preference. I myself would lean to the Canon's (No I'm not a fan-boy) but you can pick up used XT's and XTi's for fairly cheap and they offer more features than the d40.

RickyG

Reaction score
I don't know why people are telling you to practice with a point shoot... If you can pick it up for a good price do so. No point and shoot will ever give you pictures like a DSLR nor will it give you the manual controls that make a DSLR what it is. I own a D40 and it blows my moms 10 mega pixel sony out of the water. Aside from that point and shoots are just crappy in general. If you want to use techniques such as aperture and shutter control you need a DSLR. Also if you ever plan on using a film SLR nothing can get you more ready than a DSLR. After owning a DSLR I will never go back to point and shoot. I have trouble using them now that I'm so use to my Nikon. Also the D40 is a nice easy camera to learn on. Once you get one just go online and lear a couple basics online (2/3rds law, shutter speed, and aperture) and you'll be set. Then if you want something nicer to make bigger prints or whatever you can upgrade to something like a D90, my future camera, or even something like a D3.

turbo_911

Reaction score
Well as I am a canon user, and before I became one, I had a tough decision of buying my first DSLR camera, and it was between Nikon D40 and Canon XTi, used nikon, and didn't like controls whatsoever, and pictures always seemed soft to me, and plus wasn't fast enough. Then I read many reviews and decided to buy new XSi which is a lot better then Nikon. After using it for over a year, moved to Canon 40D. My advice go to store and play with either one, and see which one you like the most and by looks and controls functions and then buy whatever suits your needs :) Hope that helps.

Fundillo

Reaction score
buy a used XT/i or a used D80
the d80s have been replaced so they're getting real cheap.
I learned everything I know on that camera. So it can't be too difficult!

FlipStylie

Reaction score
I've actually been in the market for a DSLR for a bit now, and I've demoed the D40, Rebel XS, as well as a few Pentax and Sony Models.

In hand, I can say that the D40 and the Rebel feel most natural to me. I do have some photo experience with film cameras, so have a basic knowledge of aperture, f-stop, the principles of composition, etc...

Right now I am evaluting the D40 to see if it's worth spending the cash on now, or wait to save up for a different model/brand...

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's helpful so keep it coming! :thumbup:

turbo_911

Reaction score
I also hear a lot of rumors about new camera's in nikon line and canon line coming out or announced after September 1st. I would wait a bit and see what comes out and maybe the current ones will go on sale. Oh and just to let you know, Canon Rebel XTi is better then XS, but XSi is the best from rebel series. I would also look into Canon 30D used, they are really nice cameras. Or if you have some more cash to spend, Canon 40D used. They go for around $680

Fundillo

Reaction score
if you already know kinda what youre doing then you should probably go D80 or D200 if you need room for more learning, and if you dont want to go current gen (I would go current gen Nikon because of the Ridiculous noise processing)

Back