p0132 p1457 p1676 After a rainy day, very rough idle and barely drives

RyMi

Reaction score
About 4 months ago, I drove through some pretty heavy rain and the car (01 V6) ended up starting to sputter on the highway and had an extremely jerky throttle. Had to have it towed back home because it barely drove, and I was 20 mins home. Threw no codes.

Had it taken to a local mechanic and they diagnosed the engine just had too many miles on it and pressure was down on one cylinder. (298k on the original motor and has been running super smooth until this point)

Let the car sit for a month or so until the weather got cold, and tried starting it up and it ran perfectly. Seemed to like the cold. Its been running perfectly ever since, but now today, drove through more rain and the car gave up on me again. This time threw those codes, indicating O2 sensor 1, EVAP control system leakage, and PFTDR Signal Line Failure. Acting exactly like it did before.

Figuring this HAS to be something electrical but I don't know where to start. I'm 8 months away from a newer vehicle and this is my only car

GERM

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with my Accord (98 EX 4 cyl 210k miles) recently. We had heavy rains here in southern California about two weeks ago and it caused flooding. long story short i got caught in the rain and went through a 10 inch flooded zone for about 100 feet. Car acted fine for about 6 miles the next day. then it would not go pass 3k rpm. it would just jerk between 2.7k-3k rmp. I would let go of the gas then it would shift to the next gear. I got to work, then 8hrs later it drove home with out a problem. The next day it started again after 10 miles or so of being normal. so i ran the ECU scanner and i had the code P1361 for TDC sensor malfunction. so i checked the sensor and it was full of water. not only was that sensor full of water, but checked all around and found five more. so i grabbed cotton, stuffed the sensor and hung them upside down over night to dry. I have driven over 300 miles since then and my accord is acting perfectly fine and the CEL went off. Sorry for the long story to get to my point, but check all sensor for water damage. it is very reasonable for water to cause electrical malfunctions and thus affect your vehicle.

Back