p1259 CEL that refuses to go away

JO SHmo

Reaction score
For awhile now, the only code I've had in my recently swapped black top JDM f23a is the p1259 vtec malfunction (fault bank 1) code. When replacing my old engine with this one, the oil pressure switch (located above the oil filter) wire broke on the loom, I soldered the wire back together before finishing the rest of the engine swap. After driving with this code for awhile and because the light pops on during idle before I rev it up to 4000, I assumed my solder must not have been good enough, so I replaced it with a red butt connector. Since this didn't get rid of my code the next thing I did was replace my oil and filter, still nothing. Next I replaced both the vtec solenoid and spool valve assembly. Still nothing. Just wanting the problem over with, I took it to a Honda dealership to have it diagnosed, they got as far as telling me the wiring was fine and its not an electrical issue, they wanted to pull the valve cover off and look at the lifters next but they were going to charge me $200 for that and money is a little tight right now so I didn't have them do that. I guess what my main question is right now is, what are my next steps in solving this issue, and what do I look for after I crack off the valve cover? I need this fixed ASAP so i can pass emissions.

Edit: I live in Arizona, so over the summer it was overheating slightly in the 110F heat, but whenever it got a little hot it would fall out of limp mode and let me rev past 4000, <--- maybe useful information

Last edited:
Back