Problem starting engine... No crank

deepsnipe

Reaction score
Hello, I just got a 1998 Accord coupe EX v6 that came with and autopage remote start alarm installed. The car has been perfect for the month.I went to go start it yesterday and it would not start. The starter doesn't even try to crank it over. When I turn the key the gauge cluster lights are on for both doors and the trunk and after removing the key the green key immobilizer light flashes 5 times but does not come on when turning the key. I got the car to start by jumping it off my truck in the morning then later that night the same issue happened and it wouldn't start even with a jump. The battery is good I even charged it yesterday with the battery charger just to make sure it was fully charged. I'm not sure if its a ground issue because it did start when I hooked it up to the jumper cables so I'm going to replace the ground cable anyways because I always upgrade my ground connections in any car I have. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Jumper cables that battery. Then run a wire (~14ga) from the + terminal (big wire) on the starter to the signal (small) wire.

Does it crank?

deepsnipe

Reaction score
xci.ed6 the cars at my girlfriends house. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon and that will be the first thing I try. Thanks an Ill let you know if that gets it to crank.

deepsnipe

Reaction score
xci.ed6 I did what you said to try and I heard the starter spin but not engage or make contact with the flywheel. I think it may Just be a bad starter solenoid. I disconnected the alarm to rule that out. Hooked it to my 300 amp car jumper box on my tow truck so its not power. I checked all fuses and most relays and plugs under the dash and in the engine bay. The green key light doesn't stay on when its in the 2nd key position so I don't believe its anything to do with the immobilizer system. When I try to start it with the remote start it will show that the car is running even though it doesn't start. Will a bad starter solenoid cause the green key light to flash 5 times when you turn the key off after a no crank on the engine.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, the small wire is your signal, it just clicks the solenoid.

The big wire comes from the battery (make sure this is OK!), the solenoid switches it on (so the starter spins) and engages the gear (to spin the motor).

Pull the starter and make sure the engine gear is fine. Then replace the starter.

If the engine gear (aka: ring gear) is part of the flywheel (manual) or flex plate (automatic), and if that needs replaced it's a PITA!

deepsnipe

Reaction score
Bench tested the starter and the solenoid was bad. Went and picked one up from upullrparts for $21.21 and she fired right over :) I also picked up a main relay and immobilizer antenna for insurance. Also scored on 98 prelude shifter assembly.

Back