proposal: Post limit before starting thread

dawg316

Reaction score
Hi guys i got an issue that ive seen around here lateley and its kinda been driving me away from helping fellow members out

ive seen way too many threads in the urgent / help section about "help my car runs bad" comming mostley from people with 1 post.

my opinion is this is a 6th gen community and forum for the owners and lovers of chasis/ platform

alot of post ( scroll back and check yourself) have been comming from just everyday tom **** and harry 6thgen owners who want free car advice and ask for it in the most unhelpfull way possible

example : my car runs bad, already throught some parts at it, dont know what to do , i dont want to take it to a mechanic.

withouhgt stating the year make model, engine size, mods done to it, symptoms

I think a rule of a minimum of 5-10 post before posting a thread would help.

on the counter argument of helping people is good we should help

Id much rather lend my knowledge ( licensed mechanic) to club member who know something about vehicles and need a opinion or direction to get there vehicle back on the road again.

just my 2 cents. let me know if you agree / dissagree

Accordx

Reaction score
I think you've got a valid point to an extent and I can agree that there's a lot of posts like that. There's also a lot of people that start threads asking questions that have already been answered (but even I'm guilty of this one sometimes) and I personally always try to find a thread that answers my questions if I can first. To me it's not the biggest issue but I definitely see where you're coming from on this one. But also as a young enthusiast that has a 6th gen as their first platform I can say I've learned a lot from this site and I kinda like the fact that if I have a question and I can't find an answer, I can ask and someone will at least try and help. But again, you've got a point.

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Totally understand your point, but.....I disagree.

A minimum post requirement in order to be able to start a help thread would just increase Spamming. That is the last thing we need on a site that has been around for a long time, with tons of threads already out there.

They are asking for help, so for me personally with my life philosophy, I will try to help regardless. Some people need more guidance than others. So, in addition to answering the question, sometimes you also have to "educate" the person on how to look (Search!) for answers to their question.

I have worked in HealthCare Insurance for 20 years, so I have some knowledge in that respect. If you were to post a question about your health insurance policy/benefits, would you know the exact policy/benefit info to list for me?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I get where you are going with that, and I think there is some validity to it. But with the amount of traffic on the site these days I don't see it as a big problem. If this forum was hustling like it was years ago and all these threads were popping up from people you can tell have not tried searching then I might be more apt to do something about it. But I think right now it's not doing much, if any, harm. But we will watch for this, especially on the Urgent help thread because that is supposed to be for detrimental things...like people stuck on the side of the road or have an important decision to make quickly that they need help with. To your point, some of those threads can be moved.

Thank you for providing feedback though, we want to keep those are still left here, happy. So your opinion matters. :)

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
Thanks for the input / critisism

You think we can atleast make a sticky in the urgent section that year make model and enginesize and milage should be included / recomended in the original post .

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Added to the rules, not that people read them. :rolleyes:

Anytime anyone posts about a problem in any subforum, they should be listing that. They want fast accurate answers but give no information. :shrug:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
Thanks for the input / critisism

You think we can atleast make a sticky in the urgent section that year make model and enginesize and milage should be included / recomended in the original post .

Added to the rules, not that people read them. :rolleyes:

Anytime anyone posts about a problem in any subforum, they should be listing that. They want fast accurate answers but give no information. :shrug:

Nice. Thumbs up! :waytogo:

jimralphy

Reaction score
As someone who just joined this forum, and my first post was creating a thread to introduce myself and share my car with the community as it is. A post requirement for your first thread creation would have totally crushed my spirits.

I am also not one to ask for help or especially urgent help unless I have exhausted my search options.

Actually, I ended up here on this forum from looking for a head gasket issue. After searching google and coming here and to hondaaccordforum.com to search for relevant topics/topics with my symptoms and not finding what I was exactly looking for. I would have been equally peeved if I couldn't then ask my question, but instead had to wait.

P.s. It stunk that I had to wait 7 days to post pictures. I understand that rule for spam, but it was a bummer.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
As someone who just joined this forum, and my first post was creating a thread to introduce myself and share my car with the community as it is. A post requirement for your first thread creation would have totally crushed my spirits.

I am also not one to ask for help or especially urgent help unless I have exhausted my search options.

Actually, I ended up here on this forum from looking for a head gasket issue. After searching google and coming here and to hondaaccordforum.com to search for relevant topics/topics with my symptoms and not finding what I was exactly looking for. I would have been equally peeved if I couldn't then ask my question, but instead had to wait.

P.s. It stunk that I had to wait 7 days to post pictures. I understand that rule for spam, but it was a bummer.

I agree 100%. As a member of hondaaccordforum.com as well, I came here from there looking for info, and liked what I saw here. So I decided to stick around and help if I could. However, I honestly believe that everyone's first post should be in the new member/welcome forum, and everyone should have their car's info in their signature. It'll help us help them.

I'm also a member of a couple of other forums, and each is set up differently. As an air cooled VW owner, I spend time on The Samba, and can post pics of doing anything VW related there. I don't have to use a 3rd party web site to host pics there, and that helps keep threads whole. Photo bucket sux when it did it's crap, and a lot of people are left with dead threads that'll never get used (like some here and or Super Honda, or even Toyota Nation), so that's my only real complaint.

Normally as a newbie, I'll search around looking for what I'm after first. When I can't find it, then I'll make a post (like the one I asked about longer lug studs). I realize that everyone who posts in the "Urgent" forum is looking for instant gratification, but sometimes the answer is already given in an older post, IF they had just SEARCHED. But, the problem I have with most search functions, is they are set up a general type search, and it might spit out 20 or 30 threads, or it might come back as blank/can't find. Then you have people who are pissed because even the search didn't work (they used the wrong terms to search with), so they make a post that's been already answered, and then get :beatdeadhorse5:.

umop-apisdn

Reaction score
This forum isn't exactly what I would call "bustling". Minimum post requirements might scare some away to busier, less restrictive forums.

It's taken me three years, and I still don't have enough posts to sell some choice parts that I have from my last Accord. The Accord that I sold a year and a half ago. Even though I use the exact same handle on multiple forums and have had no problems whatsoever on any of them.

Yea, yea, "Just post more." you say. I almost don't know why I bother, since there doesn't seem to be much traffic on this site.

Last edited:
Back