Rain-X Headlight Restoration Kit

Conspiracy

Reaction score
These kits only work to temporarily fix the problem. Once the factory protectant/finish is gone, there is no permanent fix. You can wet-sand until the cows come home, but you my friend will be back at square one... Just give it time. That's the facts. In approx. one month take us another picture, and I bet It'll look like the bathroom mirror after hot shower. Not to mention this topic has been covered about 20x, once by yours truly.

Just when everyone was happy along comes darth vader. The hate is strong with this one.

I was planning on buying new lights when I blackhoused, you probably just saved me $80 or so. That is until as previously stated in a month they look like **** again...

TheHunter

Reaction score
wow looks real good. i think ima pick this up this weekend. hopefully they have it cheaper at walmart. lol

This was actually one of the cheaper kits at autozone... and the amount of product they give in the box is good. Pretty good sized bottle of plastic polish...

that is a big diferrence

Yep I'm enjoying it!

wow that stuff looks like it works better than the permatex restoration kit

Never seen the results of permatex, but this worked better than I thought it would.

ive never bought a kit because they never worked for me. ive been using a DA *dual action buffer* with two compounds. one rubbing compound and the other a polish. takes like 15 minutes tops. but great work tho. rainx is a pretty good company.

Any kit with sanding is going to work better than just buffing alone. The first time I did this I used some sort of buffing thing and it helped but didn't fix it and it came back pretty fast.

These kits only work to temporarily fix the problem. Once the factory protectant/finish is gone, there is no permanent fix. You can wet-sand until the cows come home, but you my friend will be back at square one... Just give it time. That's the facts. In approx. one month take us another picture, and I bet It'll look like the bathroom mirror after hot shower. Not to mention this topic has been covered about 20x, once by yours truly.

Well a couple things... these are some ebay headlights that came with my car, so I know they won't last as well as OEM ones anyway... And I know they'll get bad over time... probably not in one month though. Supposedly if you spray some clear coat on them and buff it out, they'll stay good for a long time. There can't be a "permanent fix" because our headlights are made out of plastic. No matter what they'll haze up.

Just when everyone was happy along comes darth vader. The hate is strong with this one.

I was planning on buying new lights when I blackhoused, you probably just saved me $80 or so. That is until as previously stated in a month they look like **** again...

Well I responded to that above ^^ but in "one month" I'll take pics for you guys. I'm guessing that in maybe 4 months I might need to redo it. And I still have plenty of supplies in that kit to do it again. I'm thinking about doing my gf's car.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
That's not entirely true. You can do preventative work on them. Like using high quality plastic wax before things go bad. I've had these ebay headlights for over one year now, and I have seen no sign of dulling or fading. I also wipe on some protectant every other time I wash.

TheHunter

Reaction score
That's not entirely true. You can do preventative work on them. Like using high quality plastic wax before things go bad. I've had these ebay headlights for over one year now, and I have seen no sign of dulling or fading. I also wipe on some protectant every other time I wash.

Yeah that would probably help. But for most people it's already too late. I see OEM 6th gen headlights on cars all the time completely hazed out. That's when you turn to products like this one.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Yeah that would probably help. But for most people it's already too late. I see OEM 6th gen headlights on cars all the time completely hazed out. That's when you turn to products like this one.

I suppose. I guess after this happened with my first set of stock's, I vowed never to let a lens get ruined again. good luck with it.

toomtoomvroom

Reaction score
After sanding them down, you can apply a wax over them to protect them. It's the sunlight that causes them to fade, so if you apply a layer of wax, it'll protect it and prolong the clearness.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
looks good im gona have to buy me this kit. my lights look just like your before pics.

5spd'r

Reaction score
A UV inhibitor is what to look for to keep the lenses clear, think sunscreen for the plastic. Parking in the shade certainly helps!

Back