Removing melted plastic from muffler

Caliaccord02

Reaction score
I just removed my rear lip because Im getting my car painted tomorrow and noticed that the rear lip was touching my muffler and now has burnt plastic on the tip...like really bad. Anyone know how to remove the plastic from my muffler because it looks really bad.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
When the muffler is cool the plastic should be able to be scraped off without much difficulty. Try a plastic putty knife, metal if it's being stubborn.

Caliaccord02

Reaction score
Yeah its just the tip. I was able to get most off with putty knife but there is still a little stuck on. Now there are burn marks that really discolored the muffler.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Is it polished or brushed? Some steel wool/scuff pad if its brushed, with some water and barkeepers friend (grocery store) will usually get rid of the discoloration.

If its polished try using blue magic metal polish (Walmart) for the discoloration.

For the plastic that is still stuck on there try scraping off it with a razor blade scraper. If that doesn't work you can try a heat gun to melt it then wipe it off with a rag. Be careful not to melt your bumper more, finish up with a wipe down of thinner/alcohol.

Any pics for reference?

Last edited:

Caliaccord02

Reaction score
Its polished so ill try the blue magic when I get my car back. Probably should have taken some pics before I took my car to get painted. Ill try to do what you mentioned above and see if it works when I get my car back. Thanks for the help.

Back