Removing Reflector Buckets

crucifero

Reaction score
So my Morimotos are coming in today and I need to paint my housings black so I can get started on my retro.

However, I can't get the reflector buckets off my headlights.

One headlight has screws, where other guides (yes I searched), said I should unscrew. The other headlight does not.

HOW DO YOU GET THESE DAMN THINGS OFF!?

The other one, I just sat there unscrewing it for about 5 minutes straight and nothing happened.

This one doesn't even have a Philips screw hole..
IMG_20110630_091532.jpg

This one is made of plastic...
IMG_20110630_091522.jpg

IMG_20110630_091513.jpg

And this is the regular one that doesn't unscrew when I unscrew it.
IMG_20110630_091457.jpg

Last edited:

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
If you are doing a Morimotos retrofit, why are you taking off your reflector bucket? It doesn't involved any cutting of the back of the headlight housing, all you need to do is unscreen the refecltor tab in the low beam and it's plug and play.

The two screws that you took picture of, those are your adjustment screws to aim you headlights. I believe if you keep turning so that it goes in further, you can release the bucket.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
You're supposed to screw them in further until you can grab a hold of the reflector bucket, and gently pry it off the ball joints which it snaps into. The screws which you are rotating DO NOT need to come out, turn them in to take reflector bucket off.

crucifero

Reaction score
I can't get that little reflector piece off the inside of the reflector bucket. The screw is too low for my screwdriver to get in there that's why I was trying to take it off.

Hey Russian, what do you mean by 'turn them in'?

I know that those are my adjustment screws, I just saw on other people's retrofit guides that those were the screws needed to remove the bucket so I can then unscrew that little piece where the projector will go.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
you unscrew the 2 adjustment screws till the reflector is loose...then grasp the bottom side and pop the ball out of the socket.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the two screws unscrew out enough (not in) for the reflector to be loose, then it is pulled off from the ball joint mount points.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
If you are doing a Morimotos retrofit, why are you taking off your reflector bucket? It doesn't involved any cutting of the back of the headlight housing, all you need to do is unscreen the refecltor tab in the low beam and it's plug and play.

The two screws that you took picture of, those are your adjustment screws to aim you headlights. I believe if you keep turning so that it goes in further, you can release the bucket.
Wrong. The low beam reflector buckets needs to be notched in the bottom in order to fit the bi-xenon solenoid that way the projector seats properly in the back and is not cock-eyed. I've installed numerous sets and every time this needs to be done. I've installed a few sets where the person didn't want any modifications done to the buckets, the result was me not being able to properly tighten down the holding nut on the projector, it would bind with the stock 9006 hole.

shavedaccord

Reaction score

Wrong. The low beam reflector buckets needs to be notched in the bottom in order to fit the bi-xenon solenoid that way the projector seats properly in the back and is not cock-eyed. I've installed numerous sets and every time this needs to be done. I've installed a few sets where the person didn't want any modifications done to the buckets, the result was me not being able to properly tighten down the holding nut on the projector, it would bind with the stock 9006 hole.
Just for further reference

DSC05214.jpg

This is a current retro I'm working on.

Back