restoring headlight lenses

Discussion in 'Detailing, Paint, Interior, Show mods' started by pewyee, Jun 4, 2009.

1. pewyee

pewyee Well-Known Member

previous owner put on eyelids, but he took them off before he sold the car to me. There is some sort of hazing on my headlights. The hazing is basically where the eyelids were, I tried using some headlight restorer stuff, but its not working. Any ideas? I wanna get rid of the hazing so I can start my blackhousing :thumbup:

2. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon Detailing Enthusiast

use adheasive remover, or try claybar, or wetsand it lol. :)

3. finch13

finch13 Well-Known Member

Or try searching... there are a few threads on this already.

4. leviathann

leviathann Well-Known Member

Best way to do it.......if it is only hazing, get 2000 wetsand paper. Get a bucket and fill it half way with water. ADD 6 to seven drops of dish washing soap. Soak the wet sand paper for 10 mins. Clean your headlights(if there is dirt/ grime you may actually scratch them)

Start wetsanding the headlight cover until there is a uniform haze (don't worry it will come out) Just keep wetting the sand paper as you do it.

Buff with a microfiber and either Plastix (from Mcguiars) or other plastic polish. If you do it by hand it will take you a while. Better to use a buffer.

I do this to headlights in general for my friends and they come out looking like new!!!!

5. paypalbid

paypalbid Well-Known Member

wait....dont sand anything yet. Make sure it is the adhesive and not hazing from deterioration of the plastic.

If it is the adhesive material that harden over time and leave a layer then go buy Simple Green Automotive spray and that will take that off. I tried gasoline, sticker remover before and nothing beats simple green automotive spray

6. pewyee

pewyee Well-Known Member

It looks and feels like its hazing, but it might not be since its only the part where the eye lids used to be. I'll try simple green first, thanks.

7. ccordex00

ccordex00 Well-Known Member

dude....use 1000 grit....for some good 10 minutes clean the whole thing...then 1500, then 2000 and 2500..polish, if the headlights still look foggy repeat (1500-2000-2500):thumbsup:

8. johnnydinh701

johnnydinh701 Well-Known Member

for my headlights i think its the very top layer of the plastic is peeling, how do u fix that, do i just use a headlight restoration???

9. ddawg

ddawg Active Member

Put the eyelids back on :p

10. Crono139

Crono139 Well-Known Member