Reverse lights

dv8801

Reaction score
Hey is there a DIY for wiring reverse lights on 5 spd swap with pictures? I found one but no pictures.

Snoobly

Reaction score
no. There ain't jack **** on here for that. just the written one that you found. I tried it and it didn't work, so i wired it up so i have to flip a switch to turn them on. The biggest problem with that is that you have to remember to turn them OFF when you're done reversing. lol!

Snoobly

Reaction score
ahhh well i basically used the written write up and left a few steps out and added a few of my own. I'm away in college right now so explaining this without pics of my car could get tricky.
so im assuming this is the write up you're using- Originally Posted by tampahobo

"As for the reverse lamps.. its fairly easy too. The following has been taken from the diy years ago; please excuse some grammatical errors.

The reverse sensor (backup switch) have a yellow cable and a green/black cable. The green/black cable from the switch goes to the white cable on the male end (which is also is white on the female side of the harness) of the AT shift selector cable. If you have the ETM, its Pin #9. The yellow cable is the power. Cross referencing from the Auto and the 5spd Diagram, the yellow cable should be connected to the yellow cable of the shift lock solenoid. The shift lock solenoid harness is actually a 2-pin harness that is located right next to the auto shifter assembly. Use one of those micro screw drivers to pop out the wires from the harness or you could just cut the cable free from the harness. Your choice. **Almost Done** Go to the driver's under-dase fuse/relay box. Look for the harness that is located on the back side of the fuse block and look for Harness "K". I provide a pic of it from the ETM book which is reference number 14 on the diagram. Pop out pin #11 (white cable) and relocate it to pin #2 (should be empty). And that should be it. Test it out.. and enjoy. **A little Disclaimer to cover my @ss... this post should be used just as a reference. So if you end up screwing yourself and others, that is your own fault.. not mine.**"

Under the hood connected to the transmission you have two wires probably just sticking straight in the air,This is the reverse sensor (backup switch). the wires are yellow and Green/Black. We arn't going to touch these!
There is a big round Plug that should be stuffed somewhere to the left of where your intake connects to your throttle body.
IMG_0023.jpg

The white wire is connected to the white wire on that plug. You can see the jumbled mess of the rest of the auto connector's wires in the shadows. you won't be touching anything but the white one(the really long white wire is one that i connected to it, it changes to black when i run it through the firewall because i didn't cut it long enough). Run that wire through your firewall (below is where i ran mine).
IMG_0024.jpg

Now underneath your shift assembly there is a two pin harness with a yellow and i believe the other one is green wire. We are only going to use the yellow wire. I just cut it from the connector and soldered a longer wire to it. This wire is going to connect to the switch. The wire you ran through the firewall is going to run to the other side of the switch if i remember correctly.
I can't remember if i ended up doing this last part. try it without it first.
"Go to the driver's under-dase fuse/relay box. Look for the harness that is located on the back side of the fuse block and look for Harness "K". I provide a pic of it from the ETM book which is reference number 14 on the diagram. Pop out pin #11 (white cable) and relocate it to pin #2 (should be empty). And that should be it."

If it doesn't work, obviously try it. If lights still don't work, lemme know and next time i'm home i can think about tearing apart my car to figure it out for you.

And to cover my A$$ also, i'm not responsible for anything that happens to your car as a result of this. It worked for me.
Lemme know if you have ANY questions.
Should i just make a write up for this? lol

VonDubz

Reaction score
So did you find out if you still needed to do that last part?

Last edited:
Back