SERIOUS HALP. humming noise while driving

finch13

Reaction score
Didn't read the thread, but saw the humming.

I was browsing the TSBs on the 6th gen Accord today and read through one where the symptom was humming. It was wheel bearings if I recall correctly. Shouldn't cost more than $200 to fix with parts and labor, assuming the labor time is 1.5 on the job. I can double check tomorrow morning and get back to you though. If you PM me with your email address I'll send you the TSB.

dtraill27

Reaction score
well i got owned. both sides are bad? $510 dollar job.

car is at honda right now. they only had one in stock and they replaced the left side which was the worse side. they are calling other dealers tomorrow to try and get the right one replaced tomorrow morning. if not theyll have to order it and ill need to bring the car in next week to get it replaced cause i need the car to go home for the weekend tomorrow

fml

finch13

Reaction score
Here's the TSB on the humming, not that it's any help at this point:

SOURCE:
Honda Service News November 2003

TITLE:
Humming or Growling? Check the Wheel Bearings

APPLIES TO:
1998-04 Accord, 2001-04 CR-V, 2003 Element, 1999-04 Odyssey

SERVICE TIP:
A bad front wheel bearing(s) can make a humming or growling that's easily mistaken for a noisy bearing or gear in the A/T. Before you order a reman A/T, test-drive the vehicle to make sure the A/T is really the problem.

Listen carefully as you accelerate and decelerate during your test-drive. Shift into neutral. Varying throttle position and shifting into neutral changes the load on the A/T bearings and gears. If the A/T has a bad bearing or gear, the change in load will affect its noise level. If that's what you find, then go ahead and order a reman A/T.

If the noise level isn't affected by changes in throttle position or shifting into neutral, then the culprit could be a bad front wheel bearing(s). Since the wheel bearings aren't mounted on shafts being spread apart by gears, they're not affected by changes in load. Also, since Honda uses angular contact wheel bearings, you won't normally hear a change in noise level when you swerve the vehicle from side to side.

Hook up a STEELMAN® ChassisEAR (T/N JSP SM06600) to the front knuckles, and test-drive the vehicle again. Refer to S/B 00-063, STEELMAN ChassisEAR Diagnostic Tool, for more info.

If you hear humming or growling from one or affected wheel bearing(s), and then test-drive the vehicle to make sure the noise is gone.

If you don't hear any noise from the front wheel bearings, the problem could be from tire noise or vibration. Swap the front wheels and tires with a known-good vehicle. Testdrive the vehicle, and check if the noise or vibration goes away.

STEELMAN(R) and ChassisEAR (R) are registered
trademarks of J.S. Products, Inc.

dtraill27

Reaction score
^thanks for the help.

honda was able to get the other wheel bearing so both were replaced when i picked it up yesterday. job came out to $540 after tax which sucked but whatever its the first real problem ive had with the car.

they also fixed my cruise control. turns out when honda changed my timing belt they forgot to plug the cruise control back in so that was pretty win.

they said i needed to change all my fluids, trans, oil, brake, power steering, and engine coolant

ill most likely do them in stages starting with changing my oil today.

the other issue is that my front rotors are warped again already (replaced them and pads in march) so im not too sure what im going to do about them. i guess just wait it out until my pads are bad then i will pay to have a shop change the pads and rotors im so over messing with them and not getting a quality job

but life goes on and i need to get some funds in the account before moving on to these other issues

thanks for everyones help in this thread

PLmike

Reaction score
im not really sure how to describe the noise i am experiencing. while driving at any speed i get this humming noise that sounds like its coming from the front of the car on the right side. almost like something is rubbing? when i open the hood it doesnt look like anything is wrong. it started this past weekend on a ride out to my girlfriends school. its not very noticeable if you have music on. it doesnt seem to affect the car. i still got the normal gas mileage and it seemed to run fine as well (normal rpms, temp, etc). its definitely a noise that it has never made before so i guess i need to get it checked out. i was just curious if anyone had any suggestions on what the problem could be

maybe something with the tire?

thanks for any help you can give me

Its most likely one of your bearings...I had a humming noise last month and thats what the problem was.

Back