spongy clutch

9450erick

Reaction score
Everytime i leave my car sitting for a long time(4 hours) the clutch gets really spongy. i have to drive it for several minutes a pump the clutch so the clutch pedal can get firm again. i also noticed that when i press on the clutch pedal the master cylinder sqeaks(not loud but you can hear it).1st i thought i was nothing but then(now) its really hard to get into third when the clutch is spongy. all the other gears r fine to get into just 3rd. (i really have to push it in there.) i thought it was the Manual Trans. fluid so i changed tha today. i did help a little but still a little hard to get into 3rd.(but when the clutch gets firm it a lot better). So i figured it was the master cylinder. i have read pattywaks thread on his problem and there are some solutions they purpose

Okay, well we looked at it today some, and the slave cylinder squeaks loudly when you press the clutch in. Could this by indicative of something?

Indicative of air in the line. How did you bleed it the first time.

No, the boot is probably just dry. Spray some silicon lube on the shaft that the boot covers.

I had this problem. It was the seals inside the clutch mater cyl - time for a new one.

im going to bleed the system tommorow 4 sure just in case there is air
nd where is the boot so i can put silicone lube like hondaluver said
if it is the seals is there no way of replacing them without have to replace the whole unit
thanks guys

finch13

Reaction score
Check for leaks in the engine bay and by the pedal first. There shouldn't be air in the system unless there's a leak.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
My guess is a slave/master cylinder going bad if there are no leaks for sure.

But before that bleed the system. that's the cheapest and easiest check.

mraw112

Reaction score
I dont know how close our clutch lines are to our header, but if the break fluid starts to boil, or get really hot, then it can cause this.

9450erick

Reaction score
^ i doubt that happens because it improves as i drive. the only time it gets spongy is when i start it up. then i pump the clutch and it works fine.
i think not enough clutch fluid is getiing to the slave due to the master failing

mraw112

Reaction score
ooo I miss read, thinking that it happens after you drive for 4 hours not having it sit. Make sure its not leaking from the master cylinder into your carpet. If it is I would rip out the carpet and clean it down well. Dont lets that stuff just sit. If you cant see any leak, check inside the slave cylinder boot and see if its collecting in there.

njmodi

Reaction score
I hate to bump an old thread... but my 6th Gen just started doing this yesterday. The clutch is hard to press, spongy all the way down when started cold (sitting overnight, for example) and works "normally" after some driving. No fluid leaks, no fluid loss anywhere that I can see.

I haven't done any bleeding/changes/lately... Is this likely the master or slave cylinder?

Thanks.

Back