squeaky noise on the belts

Ratchet

Reaction score
i have this squeaky noise on the belt side of the motor. gets loud on reverse and neutral but disappear when put to drive. also, it gets even louder when i spray some water on the pulley. this all happen after i hit a manhole cover on the highway(for not paying too much attention on the road).. my first thought is bad bearing on the pulley. any other suggestion? thnks alot guys.

ib042129

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not just one of your accessory belts slipping?
I bought cheap belts from Auto Zone before and they will stretch over time and start to squeek. And it becomes worse if the weather is wet.

The alternator belt would get loud at idle I guess because the load on the belt goes up. And if you P S belt is slipping it would get louder when you lock your wheels.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Thanks ib. My belts was replaced about a month ago. But I'll still have these things checked.

ib042129

Reaction score
Thanks ib. My belts was replaced about a month ago. But I'll still have these things checked.

WEll. That is exactly what happened to me. The new belt stretched over a month's time, and then I had to tighten it again. It's pretty easy in our cars. The alternator has a tensioner built in.
In my experience bad bearings are usually a grinding noise not squeaking.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
first and foremost before you spend any money check tightness on the belts which doesnt cost you a dime and its always nice to fix an issue without having to pull out your wallet.

Back