Squealing sound at low speeds...wheel bearing?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, finally got around to fixing it (I don't drive a lot lol).

The culprit, my rear passenger brake pad became "unseated". The side facing the wheel, opposite side of where the piston is. On the top, I have about 20-40% wear left, on bottom, I have about 10-20%. Not only does that make the "groove" very small, and trapped with metal, I think that this is allowing for a very small amount of play. Basically, the pad is probably hitting the rotor but not with any pressure, causing it to sequel. This makes sense because it will start on super light braking but go away if I brake harder. It also never makes any sound when I am on the brakes. On bumps it will start again.

Just taking the pads out and putting it back together took away about 75% of the noise but I know it will come back. Unfortunately my rotors are right above the minimum (but have some uneven wear) so I don't don't think I can turn them. That means I can't just replace the pads as they will get uneven wear and my rotors will have to go soon. I saved my OEM pads that still have some life, hopefully I can find them for a quick fix.

Anyway, that was the issue if someone has a similar problem.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Did you reapply some brake quiet all over the back of the brake pads before reinstalling? That should take care of it. Buy some rotors its cheaper and better then turning them. I got some from napa for 48 bucks, for both front. This was a year ago tho lol.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Did you reapply some brake quiet all over the back of the brake pads before reinstalling? That should take care of it. Buy some rotors its cheaper and better then turning them. I got some from napa for 48 bucks, for both front. This was a year ago tho lol.

I didn't apply any brake quieting the first time. I was hoping it would work the second, not happening. Looks like new pads for me. Unfortuately, I can only find my OEM front pads, the rears are nowhere to be found. That was going to tide me over before getting new rotors. So, new pads and rotors for me, should have checked on this much earlier.

For anyone else, deal with this quick. As said, at first it was so infrequent I didn't even know it was my car doing it. Now I just ruined a $50 set of pads in a matter of a month or so. I also wanted to upgrade to powerslots, I don't know if that is going to happen now.

$48 is not cheaper than turning rotor btw. I can't remember how much I paid last time but it was either $16 each or $16 for both. I usually tend to buy new rotors unless they have a lot of material and small grooves. I have never had luck turning a warped rotor either, no matter how much material.

Back